Synapse Audio has introduced Poly-850, a virtual instrument for Windows VST and DXi hosts. The Poly-850 is a VSTi / DXi synthesizer plug-in, which started out as an emulation of a vintage synth, but went beyond that by adding a several improvements and new features over the original.
The concept of the Poly-850 is simple: 2 oscillators, one filter for all voices, 3 envelopes, a modulation generator and a chorus effect. What makes the Poly-850 special, is the unique sound of the oscillators, and the quality of the chorus effect.
As a result, the Poly-850 is particularly great for warm backing sounds and atmospheric pad sounds, that fit nicely into the background of a mix. However you’ll find all kind of other useful sounds in the preset banks as well.
Features of the original Poly, also found in the Poly-850, include:
- 2 oscillators, with 4 overtones each
- 3 envelope generators, one for each osc and one for the filter
- Global 12dB Lowpass filter
- 6-stage envelopes
- A Modulation Generator, for oscillator pitch and filter
- Noise Generator
- Chorus effect
The Poly-850 also offer these additional features:
- Direct access to every parameter
- Full Automation / MIDI support
- Seamless overtone blend between saw and square
- Velocity sensitive (programmable)
- Adjustable polyphony, up to 16 voices
Poly-850 is available now for Windows in both VST and DXi formats and a demo version is availble for download at their web site at http://www.synapse-audio.com. Synapse has announced a Mac OS X version also.