NAMM Show: Blue Microphones introduced the red Kickball, a microphone in the Blue line of spherical mics that is tailored to suit low frequency applications such as kick drum and bass guitar.
The Kickball is the world’s second phantom-powered dynamic microphone, following in the footsteps of its cousin, the Ball. Designed to be punchy and detailed with a larger-than-life sound, the Kickball delivers an acoustic balance far superior to conventional dynamic microphones, according to Blue. The back of the mic features a three-position bass frequency switch allowing three distinct low-frequency equalization curves. This circuit is based on a unique active RC filter that attenuates sub-bass (below 20Hz) frequencies and contours the low end without any noticeable phase distortion.
Intended for both stage and studio use, the Kickball can be used on virtually any instrument: kick drum, snare drum, tom toms, electric bass, bass cabinets, and more. And like any good kick drum microphone, the Kickball can withstand extremely high sound pressure levels.
- Acoustical Operating Principal: Dynamic transducer with active Class A phantom-powered solid state circuitry
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Range: 35Hz — 16kHz
- Sensitivity: 3.0mV/Pa at 1 kHz; 1Pa = 94dB SPL
- Rated Impedance: 50ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: 2kohms
- Maximum SPL: 162 dB SPL (2kohm load at 1% THD)
- Output Noise Level: 18dB-A
- Power Requirement: +48V DC phantom-power
- Power Consumption: 2.5 mA
The Kickball is now shipping at $149.00 MSRP.
For more information, visit the Blue site.