AES update: Cakewalk has released SONAR 5 Producer Edition for Windows. The new version utilizes a true 64-bit end-to-end signal path on native x64 systems and 32-bit systems.
SONAR 5’s 64-bit double precision floating point engine ensures a higher level of sonic integrity. In addition, SONAR 5 introduces advances in RAM and native processing power on Intel EM64T and AMD64 based systems running Windows XP x64 Edition.
Version 5 adds a collection of instruments and processors, workspace enhancements, Perfect Space Convolution Reverb, RXP REX Player groove box, seamless VST integration, and powerful editing tools including Roland V-Vocal VariPhrase technology. And SONAR 5 not only provides tools for creative results, but integrates them in a cutting edge engineering and mixing environment.
New features, workflow innovations, and enhancements include:
- Both native x64 edition and 32-bit versions ship on one disc
- True 64-bit end-to-end signal path
- Pristine 64-bit mix engine (accessible within 32-bit version)
- BitBridge enables 32-bit VST effects and instruments to run smoothly in SONAR’s 64-bit environment
- Roland V-Vocal VariPhrase technology for exceptional audio stretching and pitch correction
- Perfect Space 64-bit Convolution Reverb
- PSYN II Subtractive synth; Pentagon I vintage analog synth; Roland Groove Synth; SFZ SoundFont sampler, and RXP REX player drum machine and groove box
- Integrated VST and VSTi support
- Integrated inline audio and MIDI editing, arranging, and mixing all in one view
- Bus and Synth Waveform Preview with per-track markers show the location and value of the maximum peak in each track and bus; overages indicated in red
- Envelope automation enhancements include tempo-sync patterns and freehand drawing
- Object-oriented clip-based effects and editing including per-clip effects bin, clip-based effect automation
- Updated MIDI FX plug-ins with enhanced functionality
- Track Templates for one-click recall of all track properties (mix, FX, busses, instruments, multi-track setups)
- Track Icons and Tabbed Edit views for quicker workflow
- Automatically remove DC offset during recording
- Advanced step recording
- Video output to 1394 Firewire devices for high quality viewing with lower CPU and disk usage
- 32-bit float file import, export, rendering
- Seamlessly mix 16, 24, 32 bit files per project
New Standards in Digital Mixing
Double Precision — SONAR 5’s 64-bit double precision floating point engine utilizes a true 64-bit end-to-end signal path, delivering dramatic increases in dynamic range and audio fidelity –breaking through plug-in accuracy and summing bus limitations found in 32-bit floating point applications. This significant enhancement is not limited to the native x64 version of SONAR, and is easily accessible from the 32-bit version through a simple mouse click in the Audio/Options dialog.
BitBridge — a primary barrier to making the leap to the 64-bit environment has been the lack of plug-ins available. SONAR 5’s BitBridge sweeps aside any resistance by enabling the use of 32-bit VST effects and instruments in SONAR’s 64-bit environment. BitBridge technology extends the viability and use of your favorite VST plug-ins; ensures future compatible of freeware, even for the most obscure, independently developed shareware plug-ins.
Bus & Synth Waveform Preview — get priceless visual feedback while you mix, and before you mixdown. Quickly auto-locate and display the value of the maximum peak of each audio track, synth, or bus. Maximize output and prevent clipping by finding all the overs and peaks in your project before you mix. Also draw more precise automation on synth and track busses with visual references provided by the waveform preview.
Clip-Based Effects and Editing — Have you ever wanted an effect on just one clip? Audio and MIDI clips now contain full-featured effects bins, with unlimited number of audio and MIDI effects contained per clip, clip-based effect automation, automatic delay compensation; mix 16, 24, and 32 bit audio clips seamlessly in the same project; apply fades to selected audio clips, specify fade duration and curve type. In addition, the automation drawing tool has been enhanced for clear, efficient envelope viewing and editing through powerful tempo-sync’d pattern drawing, as well as freehand and random shapes.
Perfect Space Convolution Reverb — full-resolution convolution stereo processing providing accurate representation of the acoustic characteristics of any physical space or sound. The Perfect Space secret lies within its complete 64-bit double-precision processing of impulse responses at a latency as low as 64 samples (1.5ms at 44.1khz), yielding fast, responsive use with any input signal. Also features: non-destructive impulse editing, linear-phase EQ, SSE/SSE2 and 3DNOW optimizations, and over 300 impulse responses from professional hardware reverbs real spaces.
SONAR 5 ships with both a 32-bit version and the first native 64-bit digital audio workstation on the Windows platform. On Intel EM64T and AMD64 based systems running Windows XP x64 Edition, SONAR 5 introduces 20-30% processing performance gains and ground-breaking advances in RAM allocation with access up to 128 GB OF physical RAM.
New Vocal Features
Roland V-Vocal VariPhrase Technology — integrated into SONAR 5, V-Vocal provides a powerful tool for the creation of perfect vocal tracks. The V-Vocal processor features intuitive controls for simple edits or the transformation of any vocal with automatic pitch correction; flexible phrase and dynamics adjustment; create harmonies, add vibrato, rephrase any audio region; and more.
SONAR 5 presents an arsenal of high quality instruments for the musician’s choice in expressive tools:
- PSYN II — classic analog sounds and evocative new sounds through full-featured subtractive synthesis modeling. New for version 2: drive, delay, and modulation effects settings provide expanded sonic horizons.
- Pentagon I — vintage analog synthesis, brings to life the analog realm of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Also includes a unique voice modulator for creative expansion and a library of classic keyboard sounds.
- RXP — the new tempo-syncing drum machine and groove box that plays REX and SFZ loops, as well as single hits. RXP features hit and loop preview pads, built-in multimode filter and envelopes, drag-and-drop (drag REX files in/drag MIDI out). Includes over 275 megabytes of REX files across many genres.
- SFZ SoundFont Sampler — a multi-timbral sampler, featuring limitless sample-arranging capabilities, built-in effects, adjustable CPU/quality optimization settings for smooth operation with your hardware, with several load-in modes (including direct-from-disk streaming for SoundFonts). Also includes SoundFonts taken form the critically acclaimed Dimension Pro sound library.
- Roland GrooveSynth — featuring 100%-genuine Roland sounds from their genre-defining groove boxes and synthesizers. GrooveSynth includes over 400 instrument patches from these legendary synths: 101, 303, 505, 507, 606, 808, and 909.
SONAR 5 Workflow Enhancements
Integrated Inline Audio and MIDI — all audio and MIDI editing, arranging, and mixing are now in one view within SONAR 5, providing the ultimate in flexibility and workflow efficiency. Plug-ins and Edit Views can also be docked and tabbed right within the Track View.
Advanced MIDI Sequencing — SONAR 5 further refines the best MIDI sequencer available with the Piano Roll now inline within the Track View: edit, display and filter multiple MIDI notes and controllers simultaneously, use the built-in track toggles to auto-snap drawn notes to specified scales. Additionally, advanced step recording allows for the fluid entry of MIDI notes from a keyboard controller, into any MIDI view at any time.
Additional Key features:
- Track Folders with the ability to edit the Track Folder Composite Clip
- Enhanced comping and editing features including track layer display options, clip muting/isolating, audition selection, customizable nudge, multi-clip slip edits, roll-outs, and fades
- Freeze tracks, effects, and synths with the ability to edit and arrange frozen data
- Loop construction toolset includes slice-based, envelope control of gain, pitch, pan
- Professional Project File Management Tools: per project audio directories; consolidate project files for fast backup; search for associated files; Extended Key Binding settings including keystroke-emulating templates for Cubase SX, Nuendo, Pro Tools, Logic, Digital Performer, Samplitude, and other DAWs
- Multi-format surround mixing and editing with over 30 supported configurations (5.1, 7.1, LCRS, etc)
- SurroundBridge–easily use stereo effects in a surround environment
- Video Thumbnail track with support for QuickTime, Windows Media Video, AVI, MPEG
- POW-r Dithering
- MPEX 3 Time Scaling
- TTS-1 DXi multitimbral GM2 synthesizer with authentic Roland sounds; Cyclone groove sampler; and DreamStation
- Lexicon Pantheon and Pantheon Surround Reverbs
- Sonitus:fx Suite (Compressor, Surround Compressor, Delay, Gate, Modulator, Parametric EQ, Phase, Reverb, Wah, Surround)
SONAR 5 Studio Edition
Designed for project studios and aspiring professionals, Studio Edition is built upon the same core engine and feature set of SONAR 5 Producer Edition offering a complete solution for recording, arranging, editing, and mixing your audio productions–all in a tightly integrated workspace.
SONAR 5 Studio Edition does not have the following features found in SONAR 5 Producer Edition: Roland V-Vocal VariPhrase technology, PSYN II subtractive synth, Pentagon I analog synth, RXP drum machine, Perfect Space Convolution Reverb, Lexicon Surround Reverb, Sonitus Surround Compressor, Video Thumbnail track, POW-r Dithering, MPEX3 Time Stretching, per-channel EQ and assignable FX controls in the Console View.
Pricing and Availability
SONAR 5 Producer Edition has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $799 U.S., SONAR 5 Studio Edition is $479 U.S. (MSRP), and both are now shipping. Registered SONAR 4 Producer customers can upgrade to SONAR 5 Producer Edition directly through Cakewalk for $179; SONAR 4 Studio to SONAR 5 Studio Edition for $99.
More information is available at the Cakewalk site.