Metasonix, creators of tube-based analog music gear, has introduced what they call “The Ultimate Tube Synthesizer,” the Metasonix S-1000 Wretch Machine.
- 2 independent VCOs
- Made entirely of vacuum and gas-filled tubes
- Range >2 octaves using CV, octave switching allows range from 33 Hz (low C) to more than 2 kHz.
- 3 waveforms: thyratron sawtooth, square, and square with suboctave
- VCO2 may free-run or be soft-synced to VCO 1
- Numerous patch points allow enormous flexibility
- Unique circuit with soft clipper and pulse adder (shapes waveforms from VCOs by adding small pulses to top of waveform at discontinuity)
- Made entirely of vacuum tubes
- Settings: disable, soft-clip only, and soft-clip with pulses added to signal. Latter circuit allows simulation of noise source.
- Unique multimode circuit allows it to be used as a lowpass, treble/midrange bandpass or bass bandpass filter.
- Continuously variable control allows mixing of filter forms in any proportion.
- Made entirely of vacuum tubes.
- Range of treble resonance switchable, 400-1700 Hz. Bass resonance tunes from ~100-350 Hz
- Unique circuit using a pentode tube
- Made entirely of a vacuum tube
- May be modulated with the AR generator only, or with the control voltage generated on modulation bus 2
- 2 envelope generators, A(S)R and AD, both triggered with input gate signal. Both may be combined on either modulation bus to create ADSR.
- 2 independent LFOs, triangle waveform, range <0.3 Hz to more than 5 Hz.
- 2 modulation buses allow combining the A(S)R, AD, and two LFOs as needed to affect any CV input in the audio circuit (VCO pitch, VCO squarer waveshape, waveshaper pulser, filter tuning).
- Main CV input controls pitch of both VCOs (Hz/V response).
- Gate input triggers envelope generators, accepts 0-5v or 0-10v gate voltage.
- 6AL7 “eye” tube displays status of LFOs and A(S)R control voltages on three separate glowing green bar graphs.
- Miniature joystick performs multiple jobs: vertical motion affects pitch of both VCOs, horizontal motion affects tuning of filter.
- Press joystick in to trigger envelopes.
Size: 6U high standard EIA rack mount, 3″ depth below rack panel. 11 vacuum/gas tubes. Weight about 20 pounds with AC adapter. Draws 12 volts (AC ONLY) at 3 amps.
The synth is scheduled to be released mid-2006, and will be priced around $2,500.
More information and demos are available at the Metasonix site.