2006 Winter NAMM Show: Cycling ’74, a San Francisco-based music software company, demonstrated UpMix, a surround processing and upmixing software package for VST and RTAS formats on both MacOS and Windows platforms. The flagship plug-in, named UpMix, provides functionality that can speed the repurposing of stereo audio content into a surround environment. By providing a number of algorithms and advanced positioning control, UpMix offers an easy way to move stereo files into an immersive surround environment suitable for film, DVD, HD broadcast and music surround formats.
Five additional plug-ins handle common surround mixing tasks:
- Rotator moves a 6-channel mix in a circular fashion – allowing the point of view to follow the on-screen action.
- ReRoute changes the output channels of the audio to match the system’s internal routing.
- FoldDown gives you the ability to check your surround mix in stereo, with center channel and surround channel gain reduction.
- ReBalance is a simple set of level controls for each of the surround channels.
- LFE-6chan is a low-frequency generator/adjustor.
These tools are not intended as a replacement for a skilled engineer. When used as part of an engineer’s toolkit, however, they can aid in the creation of a deep, immersive mix. UpMix promises to be a new kind of tool that increases productivity and ease in professional surround production.
Price and Availability: UpMix will be available in the first quarter of 2006 from Cycling ’74 and its dealers and distributors. US suggested retail price is $495.
More information is available at the Cycling ’74 site.