After a nearly 15-year hiatus from the music business, 80’s electronica pop artist Thomas Dolby is returning for a 6-week U.S. tour.
An authentic electronica original, Dolby has been making synth music for over 30-years. An early MTV artist, his videos stood out from the pack, and his songs She Blinded Me With Science and Hyperactive became huge hits.
At start of the 90s, Thomas quit the music business to become a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. The company he founded, Beatnik, has become the world’s top provider of ringtone technology, operating in over 500 million cellphones.
Now Dolby is returning to the music scene, reviving his one-man show, originally performed in European underground electronic clubs of the late 70s. He performs an blend of today’s state of the art computer music with vintage 1940s oscilloscopes and ex-Royal Navy field test equipment.
“From my standpoint, this is a marvelous time for music, with the doors wide open for maverick talent to break big via Internet downloads, podcasts and live performance,” he said. “I feel like Austin Powers waking up in a brand new decade — many of the ideas I talked about 15 years ago are becoming a reality. And amazingly, fans online are still talking about my music and how it’s influenced today’s electronica. So I’m bringing my live show back to the stage, blending fresh ideas with the original material; and I’ll be adding a few new songs into the mix too. You’ll feel like you’re peeking into a demented ham radio operator’s secret garden shed.”
THOMAS DOLBY ITINERARY: (Date City Venue)
- Wed 4/12 Anaheim, CA House of Blues
- Thurs 4/13 Los Angeles, CA Key Club
- Fri 4/14 Agoura Hills, CA Canyon Club
- Thurs 4/20 Portland, OR The Aladdin
- Fri 4/21 Boise, ID The Boquet
- Sat 4/22 Seattle, WA Fenix Underground
- Wed 5/3 New York, NY Joe’s Pub
- Thurs 5/4 New York, NY Joe’s Pub
- Fri 5/5 Sellersville, PA Sellersville Theatre
- Sat 5/6 Annapolis, MD Rams Head On Stage
- Sun 5/7 Annapolis, MD Rams Head On Stage
- Mon 5/8 Alexandria, VA The Birchmere
- Wed 5/10 Cleveland, OH House of Blues
- Thurs 5/11 Pittsburgh, PA The Club Café
- Sat 5/13 Detroit, MI Royal Oak Theater
- Tue 5/16 Chicago, IL Martyr’s
- Wed 5/16 Chicago, IL Martyr’s
More dates to be announced