Sarah McLachlan hasn’t been a prolific artist, but her remix CDs have helped bring her beautiful voice and quirky songs to a broader audience than otherwise would have heard her.
Bloom, like McLachlan’s previous venture into remix territory, brings together an A-list of remixers and gives them all a chance to work with some great material. The remixers include Sly & Robbie, DMC, DJ Talvin Singh, Junky XL, and Thievery Corporation.
The best tracks on this CD are standout remixes that truly re-imagine the McLachlan’s songs and take them into new territory. Even the worst tracks are still competent dance remixes. The only track that is uninspiring is Just Like Me, which gets transformed into a hip-hip track by will.i.am of the Black-Eyed Peas. It disappoints because it seems to relegate McLachlan to playing backup chorus girl.
Unfortunately, this is not a standard CD, but is a Sony copy protected CD. We had no problem ripping on a Mac for listening on an iPod, but we wouldn’t trust this CD in a PC.
As a result, we recommend the album for fans of dance electronica and remixes, but can’t recommend buying the CD. Get it at iTunes or other online source instead.
- World on Fire (Junkie XL Club/GM Edit)
- Ice (Dusted Mix)
- Vox (Tom Middleton Mix)
- Dirty Little Secret (Thievery Corporation Mix)
- Stupid (DJ Hyper Mix)
- Train Wreck (Sly & Robbie Mix)
- DMC featuring Sarah McLachlan: Just Like Me (Will-i-am of the Black Eyed Peas Remix)
- Answer (Talvin Singh Mix)
- Fallen (Gabriel & Dresden Mix/ GM Edit)
- Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (Junior Boys Mix)