Maxim Digital Audio (MDA) has a collection of free Audio Unit plug-ins that can be used in Garageband, Logic and other apps that support AU’s. They’ve been available for a while, but we hadn’t highlighted them here yet and they are definitely worth checking out.
The plug-ins are Mac versions of plug-ins that are also available in VST format.
The free AU plug-ins include:
- Combo – Amp & speaker simulator
- Degrade – Sample quality reduction
- Detune – Simple up/down pitch shifting thickener
- DubDelay – Delay with feedback saturation and time/pitch modulation
- Dynamics – Compressor / Limiter / Gate
- Leslie – Rotary speaker simulator
- Re-Psycho! – Drum loop pitch changer
- RingMod – Simple ring modulator
- RoundPan – 3D panner
- Shepard – Continuously rising/falling tone generator
- Talkbox – High resolution vocoder
- TestTone – Signal generator with pink and white noise, 1/3 octaves and sweeps
- Tracker – Pitch tracking oscillator, or pitch tracking EQ
We especially like Detune, which can create effects ranging from the mild chorus to bizarro detuning and tracker, which can be used to turn audio files into strange synth melodies.
Unfortunately, Talkbox opens in Garageband, but doesn’t work.
Here’s how you can install the plugins.
There have been a lot of questions in the comments about installing this, so here’s a quick how-to:
- Download the MDA plugins to your Mac.
- Move the mda.component file to Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components.
- Now, when you go to apply effects, you’ll have a lot more options.
- For example, in Garageband, select details, click on an effect slot and look for the new effects.