PCAudioLabs has released Impact, a computer case designed specifically for use with professional studio/music applications. The case was designed from the ground up taking into account how computers are used during the process of making music.
- Modular Design: The external 5.25″ drive carriage can rotate 360 degrees, allowing impact to be set up as a rackmount or a desktop. This provides compatibility with the large variety of hardware configurations on the market today and in the future.
- Aluminum Shell: Aluminum cases are lighter and they conduct heat more efficiently than steel or plastic, so the fans don’t have to work as hard (less noise, less wear and tear).
- Shock-Mounted Hard Drive Carriage: Inside Impact is a shock-mounted hard drive carriage capable of holding 7 internal hard drives. Shock mounting the hard drives serves two purposes: one is that it blocks hard drive vibrations from transferring to the case (reducing noise), and the other is that it protects the hard drives in transit.
- Acoustical Foam Insulation: The inside of Impact is lined with a rubber backed sound dampening foam which reduces internal ambient noise and noise caused by vibration to keep it operating quietly under any CPU load. The inside front door of impact is also lined with the same acoustic material for extra sound absorption.
- Near-Silent Cooling Fans: Air flow throughout impact is handled by near-silent 120mm and 80mm cooling fans, featuring optimized fan blade geometry allowing for 10% more cooling efficiently than ordinary high-end fans, and at a low dBA.
- 80 PLUS Power Supply: The 80 PLUS performance specification requires power supplies in computers to have 80% or greater energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load with a true power factor of 0.9 or greater. This translates into better sounding audio, a lower electricity bill, more stable power under heavy CPU load, and in our case, a near-silent power supply.
- Recessed USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 Front Ports: On the front of impact are 2 USB 2.0 ports, and 1 FireWire 400 port. Both ports are recessed 1/2″ to prevent a USB dongle or external hard drive from being unplugged or damaged accidentally. Because of the location and orientation of the front ports, access to them is unrestricted and in an Impact tower configuration, cables can be more easily routed out of harm’s way.
- Recessed Power Button: Impact features a recessed power button to prevent accidental power-off. This also allows impact to be powered on without opening the front door.
- Recessed Expansion Slots: A 3/4″ recessed rear panel adds protection for the cables and ports on the back of your system during transport and during use.
Prices for configured Impact audio workstations start at US $2,675. Details at the PCAudiolabs site.