Audio Damage has introduced Kombinat – described as “a complete toolbox of sonic warfare” and “the single most annihilating effect available today.”
With seven different options in each of the three distortion engines (plus pass-through), Kombinat is capable of sophisticated and unique sounds. Want to add a ring mod to the low end, a mild saturation to the mids, and a bit-reduction algorithm to the high end? No problem. Want to run your signal through three sine-warps in series? This is your box.
Kombinat’s signal structure allows for a fairly broad palette of sounds, as each segment of the overall effect is a versatile tool in its own right. The Isolator is a full “DJ-style” band-killer EQ; this leads to the three distortion engines, which may be used in multi-band mode for subtle surgery, or in series mode for complete signal destruction. The engines go in to a four-pole lowpass filter of our own design, and then in to a compressor which we have configured for one-knob operation.
Taken as a whole, Kombinat is a tweaker’s paradise, yet designed so that it is easy to just grab one of the 64 presets and touch it up a bit to suit the source material.
- “DJ” style three-band isolator EQ for band-killing effects
- Three distortion engines, consisting of seven algorithms each (plus pass-through) that can operate per-band or in series. The included algorithms are Fuzz, Distortion, Saturation, Warp, Clip, Bit/Sample-Rate Reduction, and Ring Mod
- Self-Resonating Four-pole lowpass filter
- Compressor, configured for one-knob operation for ease of use
- Full MIDI learn (VST version only) for hardware control of all parameters
Kombinat is $49, and is available in VST & AU formats for Mac & Windows.