WordPress is a great blogging platform and is popular with musicians for building music websites.
Out of the box, it does 90% of the stuff you’ll need to build a music site. Here are some free add-ons, though, that can handle the rest.
Five Free WordPress Plugins For Musicians
- Gigs Calendar – This plugin is geared toward bands and musicians to manage and display a calendar of their gigs within WordPress. It’s meant to be as easy as possible for both the musician and the fan. It even manages venue data complete with mapping and ticket links.
- Discography – Musicians need a way to easily organize information about their music. This plugin exists to do just that. It lets you publish a list of albums and auto-generates a WordPress page for each song, so that fans can comment, save links to your songs and share them with friends.
- Audio Player – Audio Player provides you with a simple way of inserting a stylish Flash mp3 player on your WordPress posts and pages.
- PodPress – if you want to release MP3s and have them not only downloadable from your site, but also as a podcast, PodPress can make it easy to manage within WordPress.
- MySpace Crossposter – a WordPress plugin that cross-publishes all of your WordPress blog entries to your MySpace blog. This lets you keep a current MySpace profile without any extra work. Users of the plugin have the option of publishing a notification or a whole story to MySpace.
Are you using WordPress for a music site? Let me know if you’ve got other suggestions for WordPress plugins for musicians.