cellsDS is a free programmable grid-based music sequencer for the Nintendo DS.
cellsDS is six sequencers in one, with each sequencer being controlled by a user definable Lua script. It is the peculiar anti-social stepchild of the Tenori-On and Monome.
- Dead simple user interface.
- Ability to create your own unique sequencer rules using the Lua programming language. CellsDS comes with a developer’s guide and example scripts to get you started.
- 175 sounds are included. With a little work, you can add your own sounds.
- Ability to customize the scale. (Microtonal nerds will be pleased.)
- Coming soon… Wifi-Midi support.
There are some limitations to the Lua scripts that you can write due to performance issues. Please refer to the Developer’s Guide (included in the distribution) for more details.
In short, cellsDS sequencers need to perform briskly – which might rule out things such as doing expensive cellular-automaton calculations.