SCSIforSamplers now offers a SCSI card reader designed to replace the drives on vintage samplers.
The MCDISK-2 is a solid-state Media Card drive that has no moving parts and makes no noise during operation. It comes in a small beige case that is 8.5″ x 6.75″ x 2.25″ and can be used in any orientation, flat or on its side. It is very sturdy and solid, equally at home on the road or in the studio. The case has a fan in it but we ship the drive with this fan disabled in order to keep the unit completely noise-free. The fan is not needed in this configuration because the internal MCDISK drive puts out no heat at all and the internal power supply puts out only a very small amount. The case stays cool internally from natural air flow.
The MCDISK-2 has two PCMCIA slots which enable you to use Compact Flash or Smart Media cards for storage (with the correct PCMCIA adapters).
The MCDISK-2 is compatible with a wide range of samplers:
- Korg Triton Classic, Triton Studio, Triton LE, Triton Rack, Triton Pro
- Akai MPC60, MPC60 II, MPC2000, MPC2000XL, MPC3000 (requires the Vailixi 3.50 OS), S1000, S1100, S2000, S2800, S3000, CD3000, S3200, S3200XL, MPC4000, S5000, S6000, Z4/Z8
- Yamaha Motif 6, Motif 7, Motif 8, RS7000, PSR9000, EX5, EX7
- Ensoniq EPS, EPS 16+, ASR-10, ASR-88, ASR Rack
- EMU Emax SE/HD, ESI-32, ESI-2000, ESI-4000, E4k, E5000, E6400, E64, EIII, EIIIxp, EIV, E4XT Ultra, E-Synth
- Roland XV-5080, S750, S760, S770
- Kurzweil K2000, K2000VP, K2vx, K2vxS, K2000R, K2000RS, K2500X, K2500XS, K2500S, K2500R, K2500RS, K2600X, K2600XS, K2600S, K2600R, K2600RS, K2661
The case has two SCSI-2 HD-50 connectors (SCSI-1 Centronics connectors are available instead – see Related Products below), front power LED, status/activity LED and a SCSI ID selector switch. The unit ships internally terminated can ship unterminated at your request. The drive has an internal power supply that is auto-switching so it works with any power system in any country.
An internal version of the MCDISK-2 SCSI card reader drive is also available.
The MCDISK-2 retails for $145.
Note: SCSIforSamplers has ceased trading.