MicroKorg XL – The Jumbo Shrimp Of Synths?

YouTube Preview Image

Is MicroKorg XL the jumbo shrimp of synths?

From the name – it sounds like it should be a full-size MicroKorg, but from the video it looks like something very different.

Here’s another demo video:

YouTube Preview Image

If you know any details on this, leave a comment!

via GearSlutz

31 thoughts on “MicroKorg XL – The Jumbo Shrimp Of Synths?

1. Nothing can surpass the MicroKorg imo- not even the original that it was based off (MS 120, or something similar? im not a synth historian)

• You're just wrong. Some synth that do surpass the MK/MKXL : Akai Miniak, Alesis Micron, Alesis ION, Access Virus series, Waldorf Q series, and many others.

2. quote:”it is the MS-120

….lol”:unquote
    My roflcopter goes soi soi soi soi soi.
    surely they should be calling it the r3 mini or something.

3. Naw. Yoursister is right. It’s the ms-20 not 120 douches and anyone who thinks the microkorg end all be all hasn’t heard of an analog synthesizer, and they are dumb. If you don’t know synth history then you don’t even know what your doing on some amateur synth like the microkorg. Poisoned V can eat garbage. Microkorg is in my collection but I’m very aware of where it stands in my collection.

4. Calling the Microkorg an “amateur synth” is just a typical gearsnob comment. The Micro is just another in the lineage of synth design. Ive played just about every type of synth out there, from analog to digital. It holds it’s own. If you’re going by the factory presets and base EQ, I could understand this statement, but when you dig into the editing and get to know what you’re doing, it becomes a full rich sounding unit. I gig regularily and have run into many well known keyboard players, and they love the Microkorg for it’s reliability, ease of use, and size. The only complaint is the keysize. Does it lack poliphony? sure, but it’s modeled after synths with low poly designs. The bottom line is how can you knock a unit which has as many features, is so portable, and with tweaking can run with the big boys?

5. I forgot i made that comment till i saw it- I didn’t mean every synth ever made- obviously there are better ones. i just meant what i had used

6. I love the positive energy that is flowing in this thread ; ) Joking aside, i would have to agree with El Jeffe, the microkorg has held it's own for a good reason. And on another note, we are all entitled to our own opinion, just because some close-minded people post ridiculous comments doesn't mean that they are true, they are only opinions, stooping down to name calling doesn't solve any problems and doesn't sway that person to side with you, it only agitates them and starts pointless arguments over the internet.

7. I'm also excited about getting the new MK XL, I know that it will take me a couple of months to save for it, but I just got a job and i'm about ready to explode!!

8. I'm a long time fan of the micro. When you really tweak that thing, you can pull some impressive sounds out of it! Makes the presets sound like crap! I run mine through an electro harmonix blackfinger tube compressor and one of those $100 little tube mic preamps and the sound is HUGE.
    I just picked up the micro xl yesterday and its way cool. Can't wait to tweak this thing.

9. I'm a long time fan of the micro. When you really tweak that thing, you can pull some impressive sounds out of it! Makes the presets sound like crap! I run mine through an electro harmonix blackfinger tube compressor and one of those $100 little tube mic preamps and the sound is HUGE.

10. I had a MicroKorg XL for 3 months. Switched to a Akai Miniak which sounds REALLY better. Any sound of the MKXL can be done with another more powerful VA synth.
    MKXL is ok, but it's the "Korg" sound. It's OK for people that do not need "advanced" features. To me, MKXL is neither worse nor better than any other synth on the market.

11. I had a MicroKorg XL for 3 months. Switched to a Akai Miniak which sounds REALLY better. Any sound of the MKXL can be done with another more powerful VA synth.

12. remember when synth players were a friendly community? when did every one become elitists? i know none of you are rocking a Moog Modular or an ARP2600, so chill out. some one once told me that every song has the potential to be someone's favorite song ever, and i believe the same goes for gear even if its Korg or Akai (which is going down hill fast) or even Behringer

13. remember when synth players were a friendly community? when did every one become elitists? i know none of you are rocking a Moog Modular or an ARP2600, so chill out. some one once told me that every song has the potential to be someone's favorite song ever, and i believe the same goes for gear even if its Korg or Akai (which is going down hill fast) or even Behringer

14. running the output of a synth through outboard processors is not tweaking the synth its processing the signal after the synth is done with it, if your messing with the circuit of the synth then your tweaking it, and as far as i know no one is making circuit bent MK's or MKXL's

15. running the output of a synth through outboard processors is not tweaking the synth its processing the signal after the synth is done with it, if your messing with the circuit of the synth then your tweaking it, and as far as i know no one is making circuit bent MK's or MKXL's

16. It's a sad little man who bases his ego on the equipment he uses… and especially when he uses it to insult other people on an internet messgae board.

17. It's a sad little man who bases his ego on the equipment he uses… and especially when he uses it to insult other people on an internet messgae board.

18. Ha! The internet is full of guys with the best gear and the most broken dreams.
    They forget its the music you make that counts.
    Not how clean your signal path is, if your synth is a "true" analog or how much DSP you have at your command.
    None of that matters if the music you make is boring or unoriginal.

19. you're comparing a 2000$+ keyboard (access virus) to a 500$ keyboard (Microkorg XL) come on!