Digidesign has announced that it’s now shipping Pro Tools 8.
Here’s what’s new:
Pro Tools 8 features an updated interface, dozens of new plug-ins and virtual instruments, new scoring and MIDI features and expanded editing and mixing capabilities.
New Music Creation Features:
- Fully integrated MIDI and Score Editor windows for enhanced MIDI editing functionality and professional score editing and printing
- 20 new effects and five new virtual instruments—Mini Grand piano, Boom drum machine, DB-33 tonewheel organ, Vacuum tube-modeled synthesizer, and Xpand!2 sample player
- High-quality amplifiers simulation via Digidesign’s guitar amp emulator Eleven Free as well as Tech21 SansAmp amplifier emulator
- An 8 GB bundle of high-quality loops
New Production Features:
- Elastic Pitch, which makes it easy to transpose music in real time right in the Edit window
- 10 inserts per channel
- Enhanced controller integration with Digidesign and M-Audio control surfaces
- ICON integration enhancements that dramatically increase speed and efficiency
- HD QuickTime support on Mac OS X for increased versatility
If you’re a Pro Tools user, let us know what you think about the update in the comments!
Pricing and Compatibility
Pro Tools 8 software is available for Windows Vista- (32-bit Business or Ultimate with Service Pack 1), Windows XP- (Home and Professional with XP Service Pack 3), and Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard)-based Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools LE, and Pro Tools M-Powered systems.
- Pro Tools HD 8 Upgrade: $249 US
- Pro Tools LE/M-Powered Upgrade: $149 US
- Pro Tools M-Powered Full Version: $299 US (available through authorized dealers only)
Customers who have purchased a new Pro Tools system or upgrade since October 3, 2008, are eligible for a free software upgrade. Customers purchasing new systems with old software are also be eligible for the free upgrade.