2009 NAMM Show: Akai Professional announced the APC40 Control Surface – a sexy new hardware controller designed specifically for Ableton Live. Akai Professional partnered with Ableton to make the APC40 an optimal Ableton Live control surface.
Because Akai Professional and Ableton designed the APC40 specifically for using with Live, you won’t need to map or configure its controls. If you want, though, the APC40 will let you remap every one of its controls.
The APC40 communicates bi-directionally with Live, so the controller can display information from Live on its clip matrix of 40 triggers and on LED rings surrounding each knob. The clip matrix provides you with an instant view of clip status: what is loaded, what is playing and what is being recorded.
The APC40 has two sets of eight knobs: one for Track parameters such as pans and bus sends, and the other for instrument and effect parameters. The second bank of eight knobs is dynamically re-assigned to the track selected by the user. This unique capability enables performers to control at least eight track parameters per track – a total of 72 – using the same eight knobs and the nine track-selection buttons. Channel faders, bus faders and a crossfader enable smooth control of key values.
Akai has not officially announced pricing and availability yet.
Check out the details below, and then let us know what you think!
- Designed in partnership with Ableton
- Unique clip matrix with multicolor lighting displays current clip status
- No mapping required for use with Ableton Live
- Exclusive bidirectional communication between the APC40 and Ableton Live
- Professional feel with rugged, metal chassis and premium controls
- Comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC Edition, free upgrade patch for full versions of Live
- USB plug-and-play connection for Mac and PC
- Premium controller with rugged, metal chassis
- APC40 Ableton Live controller
- USB Cable
- Power Supply
- Software CD
- User Manual
Akai APC40 Resources