This series of videos, from Roland, demo the VG-99 Guitar Synth System.
The Roland VG-99 is a guitar-modeling performance synth that features some unique features, like a ribbon controller and Roland D-Beam. The VG-99 offers a wide range of guitars and amplifier models, and it can even model two signal paths at once.
For example, one virtual guitar could be a Les Paul and the other a nylon-string guitar. Add to this the sound of the actual guitar being played, and it’s possible to simultaneously have the sound of three different guitars playing simultaneously.
Modeled guitar, amp and effects paths can be active at the same time, or they can be dynamically switched or blended. Players can control the switching behavior between virtual guitars and/or amps by foot controllers, buttons on the unit, or according to picking dynamics.
Other features of the VG-99 include an onboard guitar-to-MIDI converter for direct connection to keyboards, sound modules and soft synths and a digital out and a USB port for direct audio and MIDI connection to computers.
Each modeled guitar in the VG-99 can have its own tuning: the virtual Les Paul could be tuned down four or five steps for a heavy sound, for example, while the nylon string could be tuned as a 12-string, and also tuned down four or five steps at the same time. Any user-defined tunings are also supported so the player can switch instantly between tuning setups without physically switching guitars or having to manually retune.
If you’ve used the Roland VG-99, leave a comment with your thoughts below!
- Three processors at its core, plus expressive performance controls such as Ribbon Controller and D BEAM
- Dual modeling engines allow guitar and amp models to be dynamically switched, layered and combined.
- New COSM electric, acoustic and bass guitar models, and new synth waves such as the famous GR-300
- Guitar to MIDI converter for direct connection to keyboards, sound modules, soft synths, computers, and other MID compatible devices.
- Supports USB audio and MIDI for easy digital recording and sequencing.
- Dual GT-Pro-class effects processor enables unequalled flexible tone creation.
- Advanced performance controls, including D BEAM, V-LINK, and Ribbon Controller take guitar performance to a whole new level.
- Simple and intuitive knob based interface and new design support live performance.
- Graphical Editor software included to support sophisticated sound making.
- Versatile I/O including USB, S/PDIF, XLR provide pro connections for virtually every type of music production and performance on stage to professional studio recording