Mr. Alias 2 is a free software synthesizer for Mac, Windows and Linux.
Mr. Alias 2 uses non band-limited oscillators which can be transposed near to and beyond the Nyquist frequency, causing most of their spectra to be aliased back into audible non-harmonic frequencies. The sound can then be further processed by a number of crude “effects.”
Though it is based on the same concept as the original, Mr. Alias 2 is completely rewritten for cross-platform compatibility, and has a number of significant improvements.
Mr. Alias 2 is free, it’s got a “wack” user interface and is available as a VST plugin for Windows (32-bit), Mac OS X (Universal Binary), and Linux (x86), and as an Audio Unit for Mac OS X.
Preview the sound of Mr. Alias 2 below:
Download Mr. Alias 2 from the thepiz site.
If you’ve used Mr. Alias 2, leave a comment with your thoughts/ratings!
Some feature highlights:
- 2 oscillators
- 18 waveforms
- Full stereo processing
- 6 filter types including a formant filter
- Filter envelope
- External audio processing (no need to hire Butch Vig)
- Patch randomizer button
- Highly configurable MIDI control with MIDI learn
- MIDI-controllable patch morphing
- Included bank of 128 presets, including some by waka x
- Drag & drop preset and MIDI map loading
- “Wack” GUI
Be sure to read the manual to understand all the special hidden features.