fr-041 debris [HD] is a cool abstract demoscene video.
The demoscene is a computer art subculture that specializes in producing demos, which are non-interactive audio-visual presentations that run in real-time on a computer. The main goal of a demo is to show off programming, artistic, and musical skills.
Details on the video below.
farbrausch @ breakpoint 2007 fr-041: d e b r i s .
visuals, direction: theunitedstatesofamerica (aka fiver2)
code: chaos, ryg
sound effects: wayfinder
additional graphics: giZMo
additional code: tron
special thanks: fried
* p4 2ghz or athlon 2000 (with sse)
* 512mb ram
* ps2.0 capable graphics card with 128mb vram
* directx 9.0c
* core2duo or athlon x2 with =2.4ghz
* 1024mb ram
* geforce 7600/radeon x1600 or better with 256mb vram
– resolution: pick your favourite.
– aspect ratio:
* for fullscreen, pick one that matches your screen.
* for windowed, it should match your desktop resolution.
– multisampling: if you have a fast graphics card, go wild here.
– texture quality:
* normal: lower-than-default texture resolution dxt compressed textures. be sure to pick this if you have 512mb ram. (also speeds up loading time)
* high: default texture size, dxt compressed textures. recommended setting.
* ultra: default texture size, no texture compression. pick this if your system is too fast and you want to burn fillrate and bandwidth for a barely visible improvement.
– full screen: leave it on if possible 🙂
– wait for vsync: looks better with vsync on, but turn it off if you want.
– shadows: you can turn off realtime shadowcasting here. makes things faster
(especially with older graphics cards) but definitely looks worse.
– loop demo: turn it on and just don’t touch escape, baby!
hm. maybe for the final? 🙂
(tired, compos to organize, kthxbye! 🙂
———– at its heart this is still the werkkzeug3/kkrieger engine, except with a
new(*) lighting/material system. models and textures are still generated.
(though we don’t use the sizeoptimized versions of everything, which made
our lives a lot easier). we also still use shadow volumes, which makes the
demo somewhat cpu-hungry, especially towards the end, since we have to
transform a lot of the animated models by hand. but we didn’t want to change
the whole lighting pipeline in the middle of a project. (*): it was actually used for some scenes in fr-048: precision, but (as you
can see from the fr-number) that was started a lot later than debris, so this
demo is atleast historically its first real user)
www.theprodukkt.com .werkkzeug3 texture edition soon to be available.
stay tuned and check the .theprodukkt website for details.