Musikmesse 2009: Akai introduced the MPD18 portable pad controller.
The MPD18 is the smallest-sized model in Akai’s line of MPD MIDI-over-USB pad controllers. The heart of the MPD18 is its bank of 16 velocity and pressure-sensitive genuine MPC pads, an Akai Professional exclusive. Users can access three different banks of sounds from the pads for a total of 48 sounds at once. The MPD18 also borrows the MPC series’ assignable Q-Link controllers, enabling users to control nearly any parameters in their software in real time on an assignable Q-Link fader and an assignable Q-Link button.
The MPD18 sends MIDI information over its plug-and-play USB interface for use with Mac or PC without installing any drivers. The USB connection also powers the MPD18 so musicians can use the controller with no power supply. The MPD18 can control nearly any MIDI software, as well as MIDI hardware, such as synths, sound modules, samplers, sequencers, drum machines and more.
The MPD18 will be available from musical instrument and professional audio retailers Q3, 2009. Pricing is to be announced.
- MIDI controller for production and performance
- MPC pads: bank of 16, velocity and pressure-sensitive
- Three selectable pad banks for a total of 48 sounds accessible from the pads
- Two Q-Link assignable controllers: fader and button
- MIDI-over-USB or MIDI operation
- MPC 16-Level and Full Level
- USB powered or powered via optional AC adapter
- MPD18 portable performance controller
- USB cable
- Software CD
- Quick start guide