PSynth (App Store link) is a new $4.99 app that turns your iPhone into a synthesizer.
PSynth 1.0 is Clockwork Software’s hand held recorder/synthesizer for the iPhone and iPod Touch. PSynth’s architecture and capabilities are similar to that of a Mini-Moog or a Roland Juno synthesizer but with the addition of a built in multi-track sequencer. Many of the synthesizer sounds heard in todays contemporary music can be emulated with PSynth.
PSynth has the following features:
- Multi-track recorder/sequencer
- Three voice polyphony
- Full automation of all synth elements
- Three oscillators + one LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator)
- Oscillators have 7 octave range
- Oscillators have four selectable waveforms
- Oscillators can run in tracking mode or polyphony mode
- Oscillators can be detuned in relation to each other
- Oscillators can be amplitude or frequency modulated to a user selected level
- Built in metronome with tappable tempo and selectable beats per measure
- 24db/octave variable resonance Low Pass sweepable filter
- Pink noise generator
- Two Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release (ADSR) type envelope generators for driving filter and amplitude envelopes –
- Reverb effect
- Ability to save and load scenes and songs
- All aspects of operation run in real time
The PSynth User’s Manual (pdf) is available as a free download.