Just when you think it’s safe to buy that cool matrix sequencer MIDI controller monome thing you’ve been jonesin’ for, out pops the $399 Livid Block matrix sequencer MIDI controller monome thing.
The Livid Block is a compact programmable MIDI control surface designed for interactive audio performance. Built on the same bi-directional and adaptable platform as the Livid Ohm64, Block provides an interface for creating and interacting with sound in a small easy-to-transport body.
Sixty-four LED buttons provide visual feedback with the instrument by connecting it to Ableton Live, Max/MSP, pen source sounds apps, or any other software that supports MIDI.
The open source blockEditor application lets you reprogram any of the controller’s sixty-four clip buttons, eight knobs, two faders, and seven function buttons. Block is hand crafted from lightweight wood and aluminum for easy portability.
Block has bi-directional talkback communication allowing the controller to talk to your software, and software to your device. MIDI messages can be sent to the Block to light up the buttons for an interactive performance. Completely programmable and mappable, Block provides a flexible control surface that be used with any software or setup. Completely USB powered means you don’t have to worry about adapters and and power strips, and it is plug and play so no drivers are required.
The Livid Block is expected to be available starting Nov 1st for $399.
More details and photos below!
- Portability – A compact and lightweight design lets you slip this controller into your backpack. Plug it into your computer’s USB, and you are powered to play.
- Design – Block is completely plug and play and USB powered. This means you don’t need drivers to use it and it works with a single USB cable.
- TalkBack – Reprogrammable buttons with LED talkback provides visual feedback by sending MIDI commands back to the controller.
- Software – A growing collection of open source sound applications and utilities provide a wide range of uses and endless customization.
- Home Grown – Handcrafted by artists in Austin, Texas.
- 10.25″ x 10.25″ x 1.5″ (WLH) / weight 3 lbs. (26 cm x 26 cm x 3.8 cm, 1.36 kg)
- USB Powered
- Bi-Directional MIDI communication (talkback)
- Class-compliant: no drivers needed for Mac, Windows, or Linux.
- 64 Programmable backlight buttons for talk-back and interactive performance
- Programmable MIDI mapping allows you to change the MIDI settings on the hardware
- Anodized Aluminum Faceplate
- Open Source software tools to create your own LED talkback interaction
- Editor included for MIDI editing, and LED talkback programming
- Made in the USA
- Compatible with any software that supports MIDI learn
- ROHS compliant
- USB cable included