Daniel James’ new book Crafting Digital Media: Audacity, Blender, Drupal, GIMP, Scribus, & Other Open Source Tools is a guide to open source software for digital media.
According to the publishers, it offers a “foundation course in photographic manipulation, illustration, animation, 3D modelling, publishing, recording audio and making music, DJ’ing, mixing and mastering audio CDs, video editing and web content delivery.”
The book covers how to:
- Install and configure Ubuntu GNU/Linux for creative applications.
- Get productive with Ardour, Audacity, Avidemux, Blender, FontForge, the GIMP, Hydrogen, Inkscape, Mixxx, Scribus, Synfig and other tools.
- Chain these applications together and make them serve your creative vision.
- Find and install the applications cross—platform, if you want to reach out beyond GNU/Linux.
- Share your creative works with the world using Drupal Web 2.0 technology and Icecast media streaming.
- Locate and engage with software and project hosting communities, to connect with other creators.
The focus of the book is on GNU/Linux, but many of the applications covered run on Windows and Mac OS X as well.