teenage-engineering-op-1-synthesizer

The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is on show as a work in progress at NAMM.

While they’ve still got a lot of work to do on the OP-1, it’s off the vaporware list, as far as we’re concerned.

We were able to catch a brief demo of the OP-1 today at the NAMM Show and:

• The hardware is already very polished;
  • The software is impressive and powerful; and
  • The user interface is pretty much what you’d get if you crossed Kate Beckinsale with Scarlett Johansson and added in a touch of Delia Derbyshire. Meow!

Not so hot, though:

• There’s a lot of work to do on the OS. Teenage Engineering is looking at a end of 2010 to start of 2011 release date.
  • The price is expected to be around $700. They’re looking into engineering cheaper ways to manufacture the OP-1 to see if they can get the price down.

Check out the Teenage Engineering OP-1 demo videos and specs below and let us know what you think!

And let us know – are you ready to part with $700 for the OP-1?

OP-1 Technology Specs

• 400 MHz Processor Core (800 MMACS) performance
  • 64 MB Low-Power SDRAM (12ns)
  • 512 MB Nand Flash storage
  • 24-bit 96kHz ADC/DAC
  • USB 2.0 high speed (OTG)
  • 3.5 mm Input, Output
  • Built-in microphone
  • High output mini speaker 8 Ohm 1 Watt
  • 3-axis accelerometer (G-force) sensor
  • Worldwide FM band support (64-108 MHz)
  • Amoled display running in 60 fps
  • 320 x 160 pixel resolution
  • Color Depth: 16.7 M
  • Contrast: 10000:1 (good for outdoor use!)
  • Viewing Angle: 170°
  • Life Time: 30,000 hrs
  • 2500mAh li-ion Polymer Battery

Mechanical Specs:

• Low profile keyboard module
  • Scissor-switch ultra low profile design
  • Expected lifespan of 10 million keystrokes per key
  • Industrial Grade Incremental Encoders
  • Rotational life: Up to 1,000,000 revolutions
  • Excellent indexing feel (remains consistent over life)
  • Zinc diecast and fiber enforced high performance plastic
  • Used in Avionics Operating temperature range: -40 to +85°C2.8
  • Advanced Aluminum Unibody design.

85 thoughts on “Teenage Engineering OP-1 Off The Vaporware List, Is Awesome, Pricey And A Work In Progress

1. Dfez, that WAS FUNNY! :)

I wouldn't buy this based on what I heard in the video. It sounds crappy and there isn't a playable keyboard. (I don't consider little switches a keyboard)

2. Dfez, that WAS FUNNY! :)

3. Dfez, that WAS FUNNY! :)

4. Dfez, that WAS FUNNY! :)

5. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

6. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

7. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

8. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

9. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

10. haters~ the sound engine in the OP-1 will be something like a monomachine, a slew of voices to pick from. the square/pulse synth was just the first one implemented and demonstrated. i'm cool with that much synth power at half the price in a body that makes me wanna touch it in the kitchen <3

dfez~ they're always clean when you ask ;)

11. $700! how about a microKorg for like 350, this is too expensive!! I could think of million of other things that I could get with that money,, Am i missing something,, what is it exactly?

12. With Apple-like eye-appeal, of course people will pay $700 for it – even if they can't play the damn thing. If you want a 'proper' synth, then you shouldn't be commenting, as I am afraid that this design icon is not for you!

13. i aint a tranp! I am Dutch. Only a tramp possebly can't avord one (out here) if it is around 700 Dollar

14. I would definitely pay 700 US for this box, plus tax, judging from patch samples I've heard, but only if it had a real keyboard of practical proportions. Just a few octaves would be sufficient. Or if it were just a box with a midi and/or USB port, that would be fine too if the voicing capabilities were extensive. The enclosure & interface design is beautiful work, but the price point is too high for me. Good luck! :-)

15. The secrecy surrounding this product is very annoying, however much interest TE think they are generating – at the end of the day, I still have no clue as to what can really be done on this machine. Has it got step recording, how many patterns can it record? Is it just 4 tracks?? Are they mono, stereo? How much overdubbing can be performed or stored?

Have I missed something, because most of the fundamental functions I'd want and I imagine most other potential customers would want don't seem to be there, or very well promoted.

What is the onboard storage capacity? How do you sequence? Is it just a 'scratch/notepad, fun jamming instrument?

There is simply not enough basic information about this machine. All the videos lack depth and seem to focus on basic operations without detailing key features required for music production.

If it does all of the above things that I am still not sure about, yes, I'd pay $700 for it. But I haveno idea if it does to be honest. DO YOU?

16. I would buy this thing really and I would now!! But guys, keep fair!! You can´t offer this for 700$! For 700$ I can buy me so much more than this…

It´s a funny little controller and i beleve that this can be pure fun! But not more and only for 299$!
    Trust me!!

17. the sounds off this is too bad quality sounds polyphonic tbh 700$ is to over priced when i can make better music on my nokia

18. Hi friend. I am still really noob on blog and all aspects about this field. There are many terms I still can’t understand. I’m not pretty sure I can blogging half decent to yours. I will read the whole blog maybe I will be able to feel your blogging style a little.

19. o aparelhinho e bacana mais $700 e um pouco caro mais vale a pena,ele e teclado,bateria,guitarra tudo em um só gostei de verdade estou doido pra comprar o meu…