Here’s what Zynewave has to say about Podium:
Podium is a modern production host that integrates audio recording, VST plugins and external MIDI and audio gear. An object based project structure allows for advanced media and device management.
Feature highlights: Hierarchic track layout, integrated sound editor, surround sound, spline curve automation, 64-bit mixing, multiprocessing and a stylish and customizable user interface.
Development concentrates on quality and stability. Software updates are released frequently with an active user-driven development cycle.
Podium Free is identical to the commercial Podium version, except for a few limitations:
- MIDI interface setup is limited to one input and one output.
- 64-bit mixer engine option is disabled.
- Plugin multiprocessing is disabled.
- ReWire is disabled.
- Surround-sound playback is disabled.
- The disabled plugin multiprocessing option means that only one CPU core will be used when processing plugins. If you have a dual-core CPU you will be able to use 50% of your available CPU power before the Podium CPU indicator overloads. Podium Free still uses all available CPU cores for various tasks such as GUI updates and disk streaming.
These limitations may change in newer releases of Podium Free. It will depend on new features added to Podium, and the general user response to Podium Free.