Monome.org has announced that new monome kits will be available starting July 16th.
Monome Kit Details:
- USB bus powered
- supports up to four 8×8 keypad grids, for a total of 16×16
- auxiliary ports for additional digital or analog i/o, such as knobs, joysticks, accelerometers, rotary encoders, switches, LEDs
- boot loader for easy firmware updates and customization, no external programmer needed
- open source firmware and schematics
The new monome is a modular system, designed to ofer scalability and customization.
The individual parts are:
- Logic: Hub which communicates with the computer and other connected modules. User firmware updates allow extended functionality.
- Driver: helper electronics which light up the grid and collect keypad data. Connects to the logic section with a single ribbon cable.
- Grid: 8×8 keypad surface, connects to the driver board directly. Customizable LED color (not included).
One driver is needed per grid. For a full 8×8, you’d need 1 logic 1 driver 1 grid. a full 8×16 would require 1 logic 2 driver 2 grid. etc.
Note: A full kit requires the user to create or source a top plate and enclosure.
Pricing and details are available at monome.org.