iPhone Music Software: Ready for a $14.99 iPhone MPC?
Blip Interactive’s NanoStudio is a music app for iPhone which combines sampling, synthesis, sequencing and mastering. Kind of like an iPhone MPC!
Features include 4 synths, 16 trigger pads, a 6-track sequencer and a 7-input mixer with two sends.
It’s available now in the App Store. Specs below.
Note: While NanoStudio works on the iPad, it runs in compatibility mode.
If you’ve used NanoStudio, leave a comment with your thoughts!
- Instruments – 4x Eden synths, TRG-16 trigger pads, 6 track sequencer, 7 input mixer with two sends
- Insert Effects – 2 per synth (waveshaper, chorus/flanger/delay)
- Send Effects – 2 (reverb, chorus/flanger/delay)
- Total polyphony – 48 stereo voices
- Buffer latency – 10ms
- Stereo 44.1kHz floating-point signal path (only the final output is reduced to 16 bit)
- Individually optimized for new and old hardware (chooses between VFP or NEON technology)
Eden synth (x4)
- Maximum polyphony – 8 voices per synth
- 2 anti-aliased oscillators per voice, each with 36 basic waveforms including noise
- Oscillators can be mixed or sync/ring modulated
- Resonant filter per voice – low pass, band pass or high pass with 12dB or 24dB slope
- Samples can be used in place of basic waveforms
- 4 LFO’s, optional sync to note start/sequencer tempo
- 3 ADSR Envelope generators (amp, filter and aux)
- 2 X/Y controllers, 1 configurable control knob, pitch bend wheel and accelerometer input
- Virtual patchbay for connecting controllers, LFO’s and envelopes and other synth parameters
- 2 insert effects per synth (waveshaper, chorus/flanger/delay)
- 128 Global presets (shared between all projects) and 64 Project specific presets
TRG-16 Trigger Pads and Sampling
- Number of trigger pads – 16
- Maximum polyphony – 16 voices
- Adjust volume, pan, pitch, output bus, attack, release and loop type per sample
- Exclusive groups for use with high hats etc.
- Three output busses, each with its own filter and send effects
- Load/save individual samples or whole kits
- Upload wavs or aiffs to your device using NanoSync for Mac or Windows
- Record your own samples using the internal mic (iPhone only) or external mic (iPod Touch 2G, 3G)
- Resample NanoStudio’s main mix output
- Crop and normalize samples on the device using NanoStudio’s built in sample editor with 4 levels of undo/redo
- Realtime record with undo
- Pattern editor and song arranger
- 6 tracks (4 Eden synths and 2 tracks dedicated to the TRG-16)
- Record unique parts or turn them into patterns for repetitive loops (100 patterns supported)
- Draw note and controller events such as XY pad movements, pitch bend, velocity and accelerometer
- Editing functions include delete, merge, copy, move, note length, transpose, clean and quantize
- Controller editing and automation
- Time signatures 2/4 – 7/4
- 4 levels of undo/redo on every editing operation
- All editing operations are possible while the sequence is playing
- Mixer with 7 stereo inputs (4 Eden synths, 3 TRG-16 output busses), 1 stereo output and 2 stereo sends
- 2 Simultaneous global effects sends per input (reverb, chorus/flanger/delay)
- Stereo VU displays for all inputs and outputs