Free Music Software: Mixxx 1.8.0, the latest version of the free, open source software for performing live DJ mixes, is now available. Developed by a diverse community of DJs, Mixxx is a complete replacement for a conventional “turntables and mixer” DJ setup, and is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
The new release includes a year’s worth of contributions from over 30 developers and artists. Mixxx 1.8.0 includes looping, hot cues, support for multiple MIDI devices, and a new database-powered library.
Details on the update below. Download here.
If you’ve used Mixxx, leave a comment with your thoughts on it!
Since Mixxx 1.7.2 was released, the following changes have been made:
- Loop-in, Loop-out, and Reloop/Exit buttons added to the main skins.
- Loop point indicators on main waveforms and waveform summary displays.
- Hot cues
- Most of the skins gained 4 hot cue buttons, and Mixxx now internally supports up to 32 hot cues per deck.
- A brand new database-powered library, with:
- iTunes library and playlists access (Windows and Mac OS X)
- Rhythmbox library and playlists access (Linux)
- A brand new, faster library scanner
- A simple Auto DJ mode, which crossfades to the next track in the Auto DJ queue.
- Analyze view, which allows you to run bulk BPM detection on your songs
- Featured Artists bundle (Windows and Mac OS X)
- Revamped Song Properties dialog
- Re-arrangeable, hide-able columns
- Tons of new artwork:
- New Deere, Shade, Phoney, and LateNight skins
- Better descriptions in tooltips and snazzy new look
- New PortMidi-based MIDI device backend, supports using multiple devices at once
- Timers in the MIDI scripting engine
- New MIDI mappings:
- Hercules DJ Control e2
- DJ TechTools MIDI Fighter
- Reloop Digital Jockey2
- Updated MIDI mappings:
- Hercules DJ Control MP3, RMX, MK2
- Stanton SCS.3d, SCS.3m
- M-Audio Xponent
- Behringer BCD3000
- Vestax VCI-100
- MixMan DM2
- Other stuff:
- A massive rewrite of the internal mixing engine
- More intelligent disk access to help optimize audio latency
- Optimized waveform rendering at 30 fps
- Ramping pitch-bend option, smoothly applies temporary pitch adjustment for nudging
- Import comment tags from MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC/WAV metadata.
- New library and preferences icons
- Improvements to UTF-8 handling
- Over 50 bug fixes and more!