Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer (Video Preview)

Peter Bjorn and John’s John Eriksson creates a musical composition using the Teenage Engineering OP-1 synthesizer.

144 thoughts on “Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer (Video Preview)

1. Guys, an innovative sampler, synthesizer, sequencer with real time graphical display, effects, motion sensors & a freeking FM radio!? Um, how much is a mpc? Really, the price isn't unreasonable, especially since it's a private company, and it's off the charts specs. I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range.

2. Guys, an innovative sampler, synthesizer, sequencer with real time graphical display, effects, motion sensors & a freeking FM radio!? Um, how much is a mpc? Really, the price isn't unreasonable, especially since it's a private company, and it's off the charts specs. I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range.

3. Guys, an innovative sampler, synthesizer, sequencer with real time graphical display, effects, motion sensors & a freeking FM radio!? Um, how much is a mpc? Really, the price isn't unreasonable, especially since it's a private company, and it's off the charts specs. I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range.

4. Guys, an innovative sampler, synthesizer, sequencer with real time graphical display, effects, motion sensors & a freeking FM radio!? Um, how much is a mpc? Really, the price isn't unreasonable, especially since it's a private company, and it's off the charts specs. I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range.

5. Guys, an innovative sampler, synthesizer, sequencer with real time graphical display, effects, motion sensors & a freeking FM radio!? Um, how much is a mpc? Really, the price isn't unreasonable, especially since it's a private company, and it's off the charts specs. I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range.

6. oh great… yeh if you dont like this synth then you must be a broke ass bum

makes sense (if you are a toolbag)

7. This thing is dope, but I agree with the above comments that it is overpriced for the package. I mean this thing does a lot, but not much more than the $10 ipad electribe app. If they want to get a decent market for it, then release it for 2x hardware cost + $10 for the app… which would probably put it at around $300, and within my price range. OR, release it with quality ins and outs, and make it a competitor with the elektron octatrak, which is very close to my price range because of what it does.

8. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

9. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

10. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

11. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

12. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

13. The nice display alone partially explains why it has yet to appear for sale; that's well-done and clearly did not appear overnight. However, the sound seems very basic and not all that innovative. Also, if a doll hand fits the keys well, the thing is TOO tiny for my octave-and-a-half-reach hands. I can't personally see spending $800 on such a teensy toy when that amount could greatly beef up my softsynth libraries and get me another outboard hard disk. Even considering its stated powers, $500 feels much more like the top-end price to me. A nice tool, but I doubt the market will absorb that price.

14. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

15. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

16. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

17. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

18. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

19. Not at all; just that 800 bucks is really not a lot of money for a new synthesizer, especially since many of these features are unique to this instrument. Frankly, i'm not fond of the look, or the in/out options, and i am definitely a toolbag, but astonishingly, the two are unconnected.

20. what do you mean "not at all"?? you said:

"I think a lot of the complainers should really look for a new job instead of instruments, if 800 bucks is in the outer limits range."

you said if people complain, they need a new job – so they can pay for it… not "oh well evryone has their own opinion", which is the actual truth unrelated to your own biased view

seems pretty clear cut, dont try to backpedal 2 seconds later

21. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

22. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

23. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

24. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

25. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

26. I think it's nice to see something that isn't just another subtractive synthesizer. I'm looking forward to playing with some of the synthesis options. Besides, you don't even have to use it as a synth, it also looks like a pretty fun sampler/4 track tape-style recorder, so you can use whatever sounds you like.

27. Dx Krackhorn; speaker for the proletariat.

Seems pretty clear cut, taking what others write in comments sections as personal attacks, is pretty much like riding your bike into a wall.

Good luck with that.

28. If Teenage Engineering were as good at getting the product made as they are at promotional videos this thing would be avaiable by now!

29. That was my view, a toy for people with more money than sense. Anyway it seems to be well in the vapour ware category. Well I suppose Teenage Engineering can get away with selling desk laps for 650 euros they can afford to drag their feet

30. You seem to forget the amount of work and technology that has gone into this product, if apple were to come out with music hardware like this it would cost double, but you would probably feel more inclined to buy it. Think about why that is, the people at teenage engineering are modest hard workers and aren't just chilling out building suspense.
    So try and think about what these people have accomplished and try and imagine what it would be like if it was you in that stressed situation, and you had lots of rich, annoying, pretentious 'music' professionals that know nothing about programming or product design moaning that they don't have the gadget they wan't at the moment and that whoever is in charge should step it up to make you happy.

P.S. I am not really responding to your comment, I just started ranting for a bit.
    BUT STILL.