iPad Music Software: Alessandro De Nardi has introduced Ricepad - a modular environment for portable live music.
With Ricepad you create music by arranging modules in a single chain. You start from existing sounds, available from the library, importable from your computer (Mac/PC/Linux/…), pastable from the clipboard of compatible apps, or you can use the mic line (*). Then the combination of modules you compose, divided between audio sources and effects, will manipulate the sound in an unexpectedly great number or ways.
Ricepad allows you to create music that is immediately listenable to the audience: less editing and much more playing with the quick and simple interface. For example, if you like beat boxing, you can live record yourself through the mic, record a sequence and play it back as a loop, ready to be post processed, everything in sync with the bpm, e.g. quantized at 1/16. Nearly every interaction can be quantized, even the preview of audio clips when you want to set up a drum kit.
The video demo was recorded in a single shot and the audio has not been post-processed in any way.
Ricepad is $4.99 in the App Store. If you’ve used Ricepad, let us know what you think of it!
Note: Ricepad is currently designed for the iPhone & iPod touch and runs on the iPad in compatibility mode.
- single chain of modules (audio sources or effects) connected in series
- 16 bit, 44100Hz quality
- built-in library of loops and sample kits
- constantly updating sound packs, downloadable for free
- optional temporal quantization of most interactions per module
- recoverable sessions (save and open functions)
- import/export functions for personal audio files and sessions
- support for a lot of audio formats (wav, aif, mp3, m4a…) with different sample rates
- loop with programmable parameters
- set/get cue points for seeking in real time
- loading single files or sample kits (groups of 4 files)
- copy/paste audio clips, using the clipboard shared with BeatMaker-compatible apps
- live resampling of the currently executing audio
- live sampling from the mic line with the microphonic variation of the module
- programmable step sequencer, 1/16 resolution, up to 4 bars
- live playing/recording of a sequence
- clip specific parameters: volume, pan, loop mode (none, hold or toggle), reverse, choke group
- compressor, decimator, dub delay, LP filter, phaser, reverb, ring modulator and wave shaper
- all with the same XY pad controller interface
- microphone module (takes the mic line) with crossfader
- tempo control 60-200 bpm (not dynamically applicable with loops) + metronome
- built-in tutorials
- built-in manual
- iPad compatibility in 2x mode