M-Audio Torq seemed to lose a lot of steam with the purchase of M-Audio by Avid.
But, at the 2011 Winter NAMM Show, the DJ software rose from the grave, as Avid introduced Torq 2.0.
Avid Torq 2.0 DJ Software
Rebuilt from the ground up by Avid’s acclaimed software development teams, Torq 2.0 offers advanced new features and new workflow options for DJ performance, real-time remixing and production.
Here’s what’s new in Avid Torq 2.0:
- Four virtual decks with EQ, level control, headphone cueing and crossfade—enable customers to play four tracks at once to create unique, complex and dynamic mixes.
- Traq Morph technology—patent pending innovation blends music tracks in exciting new ways by intelligently applying audio effects during crossfade.
- Open, flexible workflows—provide DJs with the flexibility to use the software with M-Audio Xponent® and Conectiv® DJ and third-party hardware, or stand-alone without any hardware at all.
- Updated user interface and database—gives users the ability to sort through tens of thousands of tracks, including Apple iTunes Store libraries, to quickly create distinctive mixes.
- 13 built-in effects and VST effect support—enable customers to reinvent sound by stacking up to four simultaneous built-in effects and one VST effect per deck, allowing for up to 20 effects at once.
- Advanced recording options—empower DJs with the ability to capture their entire performance with an integrated performance recorder for distribution or editing. As a result of ReWire, they can also create, mix and record with Pro Tools or third-party DAWs, bringing their DJ performance to the studio environment.
Torq 2.0 is available now for US $249.99. A 30-day trial is also available. Details below.
Avid Torq 2.0 Feature List:
- Cue, beat-match, and mix digital audio files (including MP3, AIFF, WAV, WMA, AAC, and CD audio)
- Organize digital audio files (including iTunes libraries) into an updated, easily searchable database that can handle tens of thousands of tracks
- Use crates and playlists to organize tracks
- 4 full-featured decks* for loading and playing files, each with EQ, level control, headphone cueing, and crossfade
- 6 cue points
- Standalone functionality—no hardware peripherals required*
- Compatible with select M-Audio DJ hardware including Xponent and Conectiv
- Compatible with select third-party audio interfaces and DJ controllers including Numark NS7, Vestax VCI-300, and others*
- Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered, Ableton Live, and other audio production software via ReWire
- Vinyl and CDJ emulation control modes
- Utilize turntables or DJ CD players to control your tracks (requires a compatible audio interface and Torq Control Vinyl/CDs, sold separately)
- Skip Protection keeps the music playing even if the Control Vinyl or CD skips
- True Key Lock keeps the pitch constant when adjusting external turntable speed
- Controllable via mouse, keyboard, and/or MIDI controller
- Transmit/receive MIDI beat clock for sync with other hardware/software and easy switching between DJs
- MIDI soft takeover prevents parameter jumps when using external controllers
Tempo and Pitch Alteration
- Tempo Anchors allow marking tracks with varying tempos—effects and samples follow the tempo changes in the song
- Tempo Anchors enable you to eliminate tempo variations, making it easy to mix varied songs
- Tempo Master assigns a playing track to serve as the master tempo source for all tempo-related functions
- zplane’s élastique time-stretching/compression technology for sophisticated beat matching and pitch alteration
Effects and Live Remixing
- 13 high-quality built-in effects including filter, phaser, strobe, delay, flanger, reverb, distortion, repeat, brake, reverse, and more*
- Patent-pending Traq Morph feature transforms your sound with unique filter, cut, duck, and morph effects as you crossfade between tracks*
- Comes with over 100 MB of ready-made loops to feed the sampler
- Supports optional third-party VST effects
- Up to four simultaneous effect inserts per deck*
- Internal effects can be grouped into effects chains
- VST effect tempo synchronizes with tempo of playing deck
- Effects can be used in a post-fader configuration
- Snapshots let you recall settings and configurations with a single keystroke
- 18-cell, tempo-synced sampler
- Integrated performance recorder
Advanced Looping Functionality
- Loop points can be set after a section plays
- QuickLoop option for CDJ-style loop division
- Quantize function for start/stop accuracy
- Completely new user interface design*
- Remove sections from screen to conserve space*
- Preview songs in headphones before loading to deck
- Database categories for bit rate, file type, year, and label
- Select multiple files to add to playlists
- Musical Style Preferences improve results when analyzing tracks
- Drag and drop songs into decks while in browser max view
- Warning message if loading a new song onto a Deck that is playing
- Warning message when attempting to exit Torq
- Optimized control locations
- Intuitive toolbar buttons and MIDI/tempo indicators
- Global Tempo metronome can be monitored in headphones
- Auto Gain feature matches the gain levels between decks
* New features in Torq 2.0.