The Korg Monotribe Analogue Ribbon Station (First Photos)

Korg Monotribe Analogue Ribbon Station

Official photos of the Korg Monotribe Analogue Ribbon Station – a new analog synth that’s expected to be announced at Musikmesse 2011 – are now available.

Features include:

• Synth with single VCA, VCF, VCA
  • LFO
  • Envelope Generator
  • Selectable wave options
  • Noise
  • Bass Drum
  • Snare Drum
  • High Hat
  • Built-in Sequencer
  • Toggle synthesizer matrix

This thing looks like it may be rather wicked – with lots of hands-on tweakability.

We’re looking forward to learning more and hearing what it sounds like. Let us know what you think!

More photos below.

Official specifications for the Korg Monotribe and pricing are to be announced. We’ll have the details later this week.

via guest comment on previous Korg Monotribe post.

82 thoughts on “The Korg Monotribe Analogue Ribbon Station (First Photos)

1. Not a real synth just a toy, blah blah blah, sorry but some of us don't have thousands of pounds/dollars to plow into a modular system, this is pick up and play, hopefully hooking some of us into saving for a "real" synth,
    also does it make beepy noise? A=Yes!!!! =WIN + AWESOME!!!!
    The monotron is awesome!!!( I have a dark energy which is more awesome but far more pricey!!!)
    (having an analog studio in your backpack is truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Can't wait for this!!!

Plus – I bet they release the schematics just like they did for the monotron, modding will prevail should you want midi etc.

2. Damn… Looks nice, could use better outputs and MIDI.Maybe you can fix that for yourself (as there are already lots of Monotron hacks).

3. If it's around $100 US I'll definitely buy one. I don't care (and have absolutely no use) for MIDI so that's not a problem. Some of us dream of cheap analog, no matter how small and featureless. This looks like a dream.

4. Korg is the new Line6. They utterly and completely don't give a shit about MIDI.

5. Now this is a "toy" i can get excited about. If the price is right i'm definitely getting one!

6. I really don't need midi, i am an art rock performer so i barely use midi for modules, but not sequences. So this will be great for me

7. I'm more interested in the analog connections – are those normal CV's or something else.

If they are CVs it could be pretty cool.

8. Message to all you USB computer geeks: GET OVER YOURSELF AND YOUR MIDI WISHES. THE SYNTH IS WHAT IS IS, SO MAKE SOME FUCKING AWESOME MUSIC WITH IT AND STOP TREATING YOUR MIDI AND USB CABLES LIKE ROYALTY!

9. UNLESS YOU PLAN ON LIVING YOUR LIFE IN THE MATRIX. No Seriously, enough with the hate, this thing looks capable of some real cool percussion sounds and with the built in sequencer I can see myself using this on stage paired with an electric guitar and some loop pedals.

10. I will definitely be buying this if the price is right. It would have been amazing if they gave you a way to plug in a nanoKey or something to use instead of the ribbon, but it's not the end of the world. If this thing is as moddable as the Monotron (which I suspect it is) this will be a huge hit for Korg.

11. hi ! i want try that soon. keyboard looks so small no ?i think it don't need midi, musicians can play it !!!

12. Besides which, this thing is still far more interesting that the digital-workstation-ish items everyone's been touting as "game-changers"…

13. The micromoog is not considered a "toy" nor is the original SEM (no midi on either).

It would have been nice… but I guess they have to keep the cost down somehow… this is DISCRETE ANALOG by KORG…. stop whining!!!!!

And for those of you who want to use it with a DAW – it DOES SYNC…very easily (send it an audio pulse….)

8 steps is kind of small, but the active step parameter opens it up quite a bit….

O… and the drums are also fully analog.

The only thing I see missing is glide/accent….I'm sure the modding community can take care of that…

14. looks fun. I'd rather them have skipped the synth and ribbon section all together for an korg analog drum box but i'll probably still pick it up

15. Well, Monotron was only ~$60, since this is a fair amount of the same hardware, $100 seems fair. I would agree with pyxl8r, much over $100, and it just isn't worth it.

16. Um, can I use it with my Korg Legacy Controller ( M2-20) . I just got a few days ago.
    Some one said it might have 1/8 " inputs. The controller works with the iMS-20 w/ a belkin powered hub, and the laptop MS-20 plug but so what. Patch cords even mini ones would be cool.
    Trying to get back to my pre Midi days.

Had SH 101, Juno 106, Alpha 1, Esq 8 bit sampler. Have Roland JW -50 (93) Casio PT -50 (84) KLC. Wish list DSI anything & a real MS-20.

17. I think it would have been easier and have made more sense to put a CV in instead of midi. Then anyone who wanted midi would just need a midi to CV converter. Hopefully they label the circuit board and publish the schemo's like on the monotron but its still a really cool little device. Maybe a poormans 808/303 combo?

18. I hope that the drum sounds are tweakable or hackable so that everybody doesn't have to sound exactly the same.

19. To the haters…..

Do any of the other big music gear companies make any analog synths?

Thank you Korg.

20. i was thinking i needed midi so bad when i got my roland juno 6……2 weeks ago, i recorded each note with my creative sound card, sampled with a rex and layed it out in reason, then used it with reasons reverb n stuff, which will sync perfectly in time, if it makes noise, it can be used

21. i was thinking i needed midi so bad when i got my roland juno 6……2 weeks ago, i recorded each note with my creative sound card, sampled with a rex and layed it out in reason, then used it with reasons reverb n stuff, which will sync perfectly in time, if it makes noise, it can be used

22. i was thinking i needed midi so bad when i got my roland juno 6……2 weeks ago, i recorded each note with my creative sound card, sampled with a rex and layed it out in reason, then used it with reasons reverb n stuff, which will sync perfectly in time, if it makes noise, it can be used

23. Im excited.
    May not be so limited after all, and midi may not be so much of an issue.From what I read on other sites there is potential to sync to cv signals. Like real synths used to. It seems to at the least have a gate type of sync from external sources.

From sequencer.de

Sync Jacks: A Return To Analog or Modular
    The monotribe provides both Sync In and Sync Out jacks, empowering multiple monotribe units to play and work together for a synchronized performance. Not just other monotribes, either. Audio line level pulses can trigger the Sync Input so the monotribe can be synchronized to a DAW system, for example. In addition, the polarity of the pulse waveform can be changed for both the input and output, so you can enjoy synchronized performance with a variety of equipment equipped with Sync connections.

24. According to he same place, you'll be able to have pitch quantization on the ribbon keyboard which will hopefully make it easier to play too.

25. I appreciate that they're making this to be CHEAP. There's plenty of of analog synths out there… now how many of them are under 300 dollars? EXACTLY. Thank you korg.
    besides, you know there'll be a midi hack or SOMETHING

26. im new to all of this, but would plugging another keyboard into the audio in allow you to use all the monotribes goodies with said keyboard? i would love to analog up my casio

27. Midi isn't everything, you bozos. Don't hang yourself by a USB cable if you're not creative enough to make music with different kinds of equipment…