HexaChrom – a hexagonal MIDI controller for the ipad – has been updated to add CoreMIDI support and more.
New in HexaChrom 1.1.0:
- Added CoreMIDI support (wired and wireless).
- Added Missing Link (OSC) support.
- Improved multi-tasking support.
HexaChrom takes an alternative approach to the majority of MIDI keyboard controllers in that it uses an isometric note layout, where the notes are presented as a hexagonal matrix of keys.
HexaChrom uses the Harmonic Table layout, which is a modern variation of the Tonnetz (tone network), devised by the famous mathematician Euler. This note layout has particularly useful musical intervals along the 3 major axes: minor thirds, major thirds and perfect fifths.
This layout offers a number of advantages over the more conventional clavier-style keyboards:
- consistent chord shapes irrespective of key;
- The ability to span several octaves with one hand;
- You can play basic major or minor triads with one finger; and
- It encourages the user to approach music differently, just as the different note layouts of pianos and guitars engender different playing styles.
HexaChrom is available in the App Store for $3.99