Moog Music has introduced The Ladder Filter, the first in its 500 Series of modules. The new module is based on Bob Moog’s classic filter design.
The 500 Series is a Pro Audio Industry Standard for modular rack recording units. Moog Music will now be producing modules for the 500 Series standard and the Pro Audio industry.
“There have been a lot of firsts for Moog this year,” says Mike Adams, President/CEO of Moog Music. “The release of Animoog, the first professional synthesizer for the iPad has introduced us to whole new segment of customers. Now, The Ladder will reacquaint Moog with the Pro Audio community that embraced Moog Modular Synthesizers in the 1960′s. We are very happy to see the market embracing this exciting format and we look to developing other modules.”
Here are the details on Moog’s new The Ladder Filter.
- Low Pass and High Pass: The Ladder has inherited ‘the smoothest all analog filter section possible’. Choose between LP and HP at the flick of a switch.
- Cutoff: Simply adjust this knob to determine where The Ladder begins to sculpt the sound.
- Attack and Release: These variable controls allow you to dial in the timing behavior of The Ladder’s envelope section.
- Amount: Use in Positive or Negative mode for mild to extreme sound shaping and manipulation. The amount determines how much signal is sent to the envelope section of The Ladder. From slight timbral excitement and voicing to extreme compression-like behavior and even reversed filtering is achievable.
Resonance: Controls the amount of harmonic bump at the cutoff frequency. This is the voice of The Ladder. Create sweet, dynamic or extreme speech like behavior and beyond. Accentuate specific frequencies to excite a sound or create completely new and unique ones.
NOTE: The Ladder’s Resonance control can push the unit into self-oscillation. This can be used for effect if desired.
- 2Pole/4Pole: Select how aggressive the filter slope is. 2 pole is equal to 12db per octave, which is smooth and sweet, while 4 pole is 24db per octave, which is hard, aggressive and most similar to a Classic Moog filter.
- Bypass: Totally transparent relay bypass for routing and A/B comparison
The Ladder will be available at Moog Dealers worldwide in December 2011 for US $769.00.