Wizdom Music has introduced Geo Synthesizer – a new software synthesizer and MIDI controller for iOS, available now in the App Store for $10.49.
Geo Synthesizer is a collaboration between Wizdom Music’s Jordan Rudess, Kevin Chartier (MorphWiz, SampleWiz) and Rob Fielding (Mugician). Geo Synthesizer is intended to be an ‘expressive musical instrument specifically created for a multitouch surface’.
Some of the more unique features of Geo Synthesizer are microtonal support, ‘snap speed control’ – which allows for accurate pitch control on a continuously pitched instrument and a unique key layout.
See the demo video above by mvpadrini for a preview of Geo Synthesizer’s patches and potential. Details on Geo Synthesizer are available below.
Geo Synthesizer is a serious & ambitious software synth – but it’s also one that doesn’t fit neatly into the ‘software synth module’ category, with its alternative keyboard and emphasis on microtonal playing.
If you’ve tried Geo Synthesizer, leave a comment and let us know your thoughts on it!
“Geo Synthesizer….is the fastest truly playable iOS instrument that I have put my hands on to date,” says Rudess. “I can fly through the range of an instrument while expanding on the kind of advanced pitch control we introduced in MorphWiz. As someone who grew up with synthesizers, I can tell you that pitch bending has never been this good!”
- ability to load waveforms from SampleWiz presets
- octave rounding for effortless soloing over large ranges
- whammy slider with absolute and relative modes
- 12ET, 24ET, 53ET, and 665ET temperament options
- mono, string, and full-polyphony modes
- tuning and transposition controls
- snap speed control to affect how quickly the instrument pulls notes in tune
- playing surface options for number of rows and columns on screen
- octave and fifth harmonics synthesis options to rich, organ-like sounds
- gain control to add distortion to the sound
- FM and touch FM controls for timbal variation
- mono out for use with guitar amps
- sine, sawtooth, square, and custom (SampleWiz) wave options
- attack and release controls
- synthesis body control
- lowpass filter with resonance
- stereo delay
- MIDI output with polyphonic note bending and multiple configuration options to allow compatibility with a wide range of hardware and software synthesizers
- performance menu lets you make your own custom menu so all the controls you need are always right at your fingertips
- 40 presets carefully selected by Jordan Rudess, including patches from Jordan’s personal sound library