Apple today continued its push to blur the line between ‘pro’ and consumer apps, releasing Logic Pro 9 in its Mac App Store for $199.99. The company also is killing off Logic Express and its Logic Studio bundle, and selling MainStage as a download for $29.99.
Pricing a leading DAW at about $200 is sure to give other vendors some grief. It wasn’t that long ago that the major DAW’s were priced well over $500. At $200, it’s priced below a lot of virtual instruments, too.
I’ll be interested to see how the App Store process works with a monster DAW like Logic Pro. The app itself is over 400MB, and with all the optional content, the download is pushing 20GB. If you give this a try, let us know how it works for you.
Details on the Logic Pro 9 below.
Logic Pro 9 Features:
- Production-ready templates and one-step track setup
- Enhance your songs with over 15,000 Apple Loops in a wide range of instruments and genres
- 40 built-in instruments including synths, vintage keyboards, a drum machine, sampler, and more
- 80 effects including reverbs, delays, EQs, dynamics, amps, stompboxes, and more
- Over 1700 sampled instruments for a rich variety of acoustic and electronic sounds
- 4500 professionally crafted settings to fuel your creativityCreate your own sampler instruments instantly from any audio in your project
- Produce lead sheets or fully ornamented scores using a comprehensive set of notation tools
- Advanced music-for-picture featuresRecord and seamlessly punch in and out of one or multiple tracksDocument important details from musicians to microphones with Project and Track notes
- Use Beat Mapping to record without a click track and then conform to bars and beats later
- Manipulate the timing and tempo of any recording with ease using Flex Time features
- Build comps by selecting the best parts of each take using Quick Swipe Comping
- Correct the timing of audio recordings as easily as you do with MIDI using Audio Quantize
- Quickly render effects for a single region or an entire track using Bounce-in-Place
- Replace or double less-than-perfect drum tracks with just a few clicks using Drum ReplacerVarispeed makes it simple to slow down or speed up an entire multitrack project
- Create huge projects using up to 255 audio, software instrument, and auxiliary channels
- Use up to 15 plug-in inserts and 8 sends per channel
- Record, edit, and mix your projects in full surround, with up to 7.1 channels
- Use up to 32 Track Groups to more easily control multiple drum, vocal, or other related tracks
- Open GarageBand projects directly in Logic Pro
- 64-bit support facilitates more RAM access for big projects and massive sampler instruments
- Multicore audio engine automatically distributes processing across all cores in your Mac
System Requirements: 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended), display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher, minimum 3.6GB of disk space. 19GB of optional content available via in-app download.