2012 NAMM Show: Line 6 announced that their Pod HD multi-effects products are getting a free firmware update.
The update expands the sonic palette of all POD HD multi-effect processors, and enhances integration with the James Tyler Variax and DT25 orDT50 guitar amplifier rig.
For all POD HD multi-effects, the update includes two brand-new HD guitar models, the world’s first HD bass model (with eight mic model choices) and a new vintage-voiced mic preamp model:
- “Flip Top” HD Bass Amp Model – the world’s very first HD bass amp model based on the Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex, one of the most popular studio bass amps of all time. The modeled cab features the original 15-inch speaker.
- Eight New Mic Choices for the HD Bass Amp Model.
- Shure SM57
- Sennheiser 421
- AKG D12
- AKG D112
- EV RE20
- Shure SM7B
- Heil PR40
- Neumann U47
- “Plexi Lead NRM” and “Plexi Lead BRT” HD Guitar Amp Models. Stunning new HD guitar amp models based on* the Normal and Bright inputs of the legendary Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead 100-watt head.
- “Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model. A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based onthe Requisite Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. Its controls include:
- HPF (High Pass Filter)
- LPF (Low Pass Filter)
The update also includes a variety of new features and enhancements that make a POD HD500 or POD HD Pro, James Tyler Variax, and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig even more powerful and easy to use. The result is complete reconfiguration of guitar models, effects, HD amplifier models and analog tube topology with the press of a single footswitch.
- Variax Knobs as Controllers. Variax Tone and Volume knobs can act like expression pedals, controlling different aspects of your tone such as delay time, amp drive or anything else you want. Controllers are capable of driving up to 50+ POD HD parameters simultaneously, making it possible to morph between sounds with a single guitar knob.
- Variax Toggle Switch Behavior (Local Control). To provide smooth, intuitive transitions between the modeled and magnetic pickups, you can choose whether the Volume, Tone and Pickup Selector switch will control both the model and magnetic pickups simultaneously, or lock the model and only affect the magnetic pickups. For example, when switching between acoustic and electric tones, you can lock the acoustic model controls so that tweaking knobs and switching pickups when playing the electric sound won’t affect the sound of the acoustic when you switch back.
- Variax Control Mode (Global/Preset). Choose whether you want to assign Variax guitar models and Local Control settings globally, or on a per-preset basis. Alternately, you can get complete manual control by choosing not to control Variax settings with POD presets.
- New Input Selections. The new input selections — “Variax” and “Variax Mags” — allow you to assign any configuration of magnetic pickups and Variax models per POD HD preset. The new “Variax” input selection also recalls whether you were using mags or models per preset, allowing you to pick up exactly where you left off – no need for manual selection or input changes.
- POD HD/Variax Custom Tuning Creation. Now you can create custom Variax tunings for any or all of your POD HD presets. Save and recall them per preset — and get up to 512 unique custom guitar tunings with instant footswitch control.