Boulanger Labs has introduced csGrain – the first in a new line of Csound-based audio tools for the iPad.
csGrain is a real-time audio processing and recording tool that lets you create new sounds and new musical textures by transforming your voice, your instrument, or your favorite songs from your iTunes library.
Under the hood is a stereo granular sound processor and 10 additional professional audio effects – all realized through a Csound orchestra that is simultaneously: rendering, processing, sampling, resampling, synthesizing, resynthesizing, playing, reversing, delaying, triggering, gating, compressing, limiting, chorusing, flanging, echoing, filtering, pitch-shifting, harmonizing, granulizing, and recording.
The developer notes that csGrain can do combine any of these effects, in any combination, in realtime & with the sound quality of CSOUND – “the world’s premier software synthesizer and signal processor.”
Here’s a preview of csGrain in action:
With csGrain you can:
- Remix your iTunes library
- Process, record and save audio
- Manipulate audio with SyncGrain, a real-time granular synthesizer
- Connect a MIDI controller and turn csGrain into a live performance tool
- Create ever-evolving soundscapes with the Randomize Settings feature
- Choose from ten built-in effects, including:
- pitch shift, ring mod, chorus, flanger, delay, reverb and more
- Export your audio via Dropbox, AudioCopy, or Email
csGrain is $9.99 in the App Store. If you’ve tried csGrain, let us know what you think of it!