Detune has released iYM2151, a new iPad music app that they describe as ‘the world’s first FM synthesis music workstation’.
Here’s what they have to say about iYM2151:
YM2151, aka OPM, is a single-chip FM synthesis implementation, an eight-channel four-operator sound chip. it was used in many 80’s arcade games and home computers.
iYM2151 is the The world’s first FM synthesis music workstation app, using YM2151 simulator engine for iApp.
iYM2151 not only tries to recreate the 80’s FM sound, but it also recreates the experience of working with an 80’s FM interface.
- uses YM2151 simulator engine for iApp
- 4 operators per 8 Algorithms
- 8 voices
- 3 software LFOs
- max 99 scenes (1scene with 64 steps)
- easy FM edit mode
- MML mode : programable huge FM parameters in every steps
- DUMP mode : realtime all FM operator parameters viewer
- song data file sharing and mail attachment
- 80’s design user interface
We’ll let readers be the judge of whether ’80’s design user interface’ is really a feature or not.
Here’s a video, via lkk, that may give you an idea of what they’re going for with the ’80’s design user interface’:
iYM2151 is $34.99 in the App Store.
If you’ve used iYM2151, let us know what you think of it.