Electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick has introduced Pitch Painter for the iPad, a new way for kids to learn about making music music.
Pitch Painter is a musical finger painting app that is simple, yet introduces kids to sequencing, musical concepts like inversion and retrograde, the musical instruments of the world and world tunings.
Here’s Subotnick’s introduction to the app:
- designed specifically for ages 3-5.
- select 3 instrumental sounds from each of 4 different regions of the world.
- Hear what you are creating as you paint it using up to three fingers at one time.
- play the “canvas” in many different ways:
- hear exactly how you painted it.
- hear it as a normal piece of ?written? music played from left to right.
- hear how it sounds upside down, backwards
- scrub it like a DJ
- erase notes you don?t want.
- save and load your compositions.
- detailed instructions for parents and educators.
While we’d love to see Subotnick develop an experimental sequencer for adults – Pitch Painter looks like a fun new app for familiarizing kids with music.
Pitch Painter is $2.99 in the App Store.