Valerie Poxleitner, aka Lights, offers five tips on how to make the most of a keytar:
- Take good care your keytar. Airlines will bust them up, if you’re not careful!
- Name your instrument. Your keytar instrument! You’ll take better care of it.
- Translate your keyboard parts to the keytar – don’t just try to play what you normally play on a keyboard.
- Consider ‘quirkifying’ your part.
- Make the most of the on-board capabilities – sounds, beats, etc. It’s not a shoulder piano!
Bonus tip! Make sure you understand the difference between a MIDI controller keytar and one with built-in sounds!