Open Mic: What Are Your Favorite Music Apps For iOS?

YouTube Preview Image

Open Mic: This video captures Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess demoing his favorite music apps for iOS, including: Magellan, Tachyon, Cassini, Nlog, Cylon Voice, Garage Band, Geo Synthesizer, DrumJam, NanoStudio, SynthX, VoiceSynth, BitWiz, SpaceWiz, Animoog, iDensity, iKaossilator, PixiTracker, TC-11, MorphWiz and SampleWiz.

What are your favorite music apps for iOS?

82 thoughts on “Open Mic: What Are Your Favorite Music Apps For iOS?

1. Mine of course (I won’t shill, though)! Some apps that I’m digging right now are Cassini and Magellan, bs16i is a workhorse, and Genome is luring me towards sequencing on my iPad. I have yet to find a DAW that I’m comfortable with. VCVCBC is a great songwriting tool (a bit rough around the edges, but worth checking out if you write songs with chords and lyrics). Animoog is great, but I find that it’s often “too much,” with the default patches having more of a “listen to all the things I can do” feel than “this is a tone that works in a song” feel.

2. For “make whole tracks in me”:

NanoStudio (love its synth and overall workflow), iMS-20 (yeah yeah), BeatMaker 2 (thouph i prefer NanoStudio, i spent time jamming in BM).

3. For “sound design”:

Jasuto Pro (it’s like eurorack modular in your pocket! one of the greatest app ever!), TC-11 (very deep synth engine + AWESOME use of touch display’s and gyroscope’s possibilities to control anything!!!), SampleWiz (pretty useful)

4. For “groove”:

Bleep!Box (very-very good groovebox-synth with flexible synth engine and some live perfomance things), GlitchBreaks (dblueglitchME lol), JR Hexatone (very complex drum machine u know), Molten,Stochastic, iElectribe (hello ER1MKII !!!) and TweakyBeat (little awesomeness)

5. For “real instruments”:

ThumbJam!

For “perfomance”:

BeBot/MorphWiz, GeoSynth (i hate keyboards lol), TC-11 , NanoLoop, RicePad
    (i rly love RicePad for live improvisation and it’s more FUN than BeatMaker).
    Also WerkBench now

6. “Other”:

Curtis (strange synthesis from strange agency), CP 1919, iGendyn, Monnix (nice noise synth), Radarhead 19, RISCy . TOPLAPapp and now SpaceWiz (several voices either melodic or drum-like and different effects and sequencing\control. )

7. Nice to see Sunrizer getting so much love! Does anyone else have a few bugs with switching banks? I’ve been waiting for the update to fix it for a while now.

• Every now and then, Sunrizer loses the option to switch Preset banks when I’m trying to save a patch.

I haven’t going a workaround other than restarting. Still a great synth though.

• That’s what I’ve been doing too. I need to just organize all of the sounds I made into one bank instead of having them spread around as they are now!

8. iMS-20, iElectribe, Animoog, Filtatron, Bebot, Werkbench, CP1919, Phaedra, Electronic Piano Synthesizer, Figure, 76, Sunrizer, Molten.

9. Animoog
    Glitchbreaks
    DM1
    NodeBeat
    Grain Science
    iTabla Pro
    Loopy
    Filtatron
    many more
    All on iPhone
    Building MIDI controller to dock iPhone into for live stage!
    So Stoked

10. Well, obviously anything with polyphonic aftertouch: Animoog, SynthX, Magellan, Morphwiz, etc.. Extra credit if the app supports real unisons (SynthX really sold me on the value of true unisons.)

Favorite DAWs/audio recorders: GarageBand, Multitrack DAW, studio.HD, Apple
    Workhorse Synths: NLog Pro (your analog friend, shares patches with AU/VST version), Sunrizer (supersaw!), DXi (4op FM), Addictive Synth (6 oscillators make everything great), iSyn Poly (decent backup VA)
    Up-and-coming stars: Magellan, Cassini
    Racks o’ Gear: Nanostudio, GarageBand, Rhythm Studio, Xenon
    Awesome virtual hardware: iMS-20, iElectribe, iKaossilator, Tenori-On, (maybe Fairlight too :D )
    Unjustly maligned favorites: SynthStation, ReBirth
    Neglected drum machines: Molten, DM1, GarageBand, FunkBox, ReBirth

Yeah, I never expected the iPad to become such a favorite musical gadget, but it is – I even record other instruments (P’08, guitar, etc.) into it because it’s convenient and fun.

• make that “Apple Voice Memos app” – I use that all the time to record things that are in my head!

11. Bitwiz – live coding that you don’t have to know programming to use.
    Sunvox – incredible modular studio.
    Jasuto pro- uniquing sounding modular playground, could be a classic if not for many bugs.
    TNR-i – advance mode and MIDI out!

I like TC-11, but it until it can work with samples and fm I can’t love it.

12. Sunrizer, Nanostudio, iMS-20, Genome, Audiobus, Turnado, Magellan, NAVE, DM1, Loopseque, LiveFX and Phaedra.