Based on initial reports, few Windows users are rushing to upgrade.
But musicians have unique requirements, and Windows 8 promises to deliver better performance for music programs and to allow for new types of Windows multi-touch apps. As iOS developer Rob Fielding (Mugician, Geo Synth) puts it, “Microsoft realizes that music apps are going to push the touch hardware the way that games apps pushed parallel processing.”
Should you upgrade? We’ve received a lot of feedback from readers on Windows 8 already. It falls into four main categories:
Optimistic about Windows 8 for musicians:
- “A 30 inch multi-touch Windows 8 system, running VMware and Ubuntu, Office Apps, Visio, etc… is an AWESOME experience.”
- “Google hasn’t been able to get latency to the point where you can even make a serious instrument. I think Microsoft realizes that music apps are going to push the touch hardware the way that games apps pushed parallel processing.”
- “I am running Windows 8 now and all the software I own runs perfectly. After 2 days, you are totally used to the new desktop and are loving the crap out of how FAST and STABLE Windows 8 is.”
- “People always claim that they want the future and someone finally delivers – and then people say it’s too hard or too different to manage.”
- “I’m on Windows 8 now and use FL studio. It’s much better than Windows 7, its faster and also too its maximum RAM limit is 512 GB. Alas, my machine can only take up to 32GB RAM.”
- “There’s hardly a learning curve – I use it exactly the same way I used Vista, except it loads shit faster, and the start menu looks prettier.”
Pessimistic about Windows 8 for musicians; wait and see:
- “The problem is that the VAST majority of Windows users do little more than game and use Facebook. There just isn’t any incentive. It’s a solution without a problem.”
- “Windows has a price advantage. That’s a big deal. That said, they do not have the raw power of Apple products, which for me is a bigger deal.”
- “If W7 works and its enough, why change? I dont see any major change in W8 that would make me buy an update.”
Get a Mac, already;
- “Just about every person I’ve ever respected: my smartest friends, Douglas Adams, Brian Eno, Trent Reznor, David Bowie, Neil Degrass Tyson, George Lucas, Pixar, Jerry Seinfeld, Laurie Anderson, The Beastie Boys, William Gibson, Nasa… all use Macs. I like ‘em too. I was on Windows most of my life, but switched to Linux, and then to Mac.”
- “I only use Windows for games , personally more comfortable on Mac to do my job.”
- “The big reason Windows users don’t switch is because they don’t want to learn a new OS. Windows 8 is different enough that there will be a learning curve anyway, so that’s the push they needed to say, “I guess it’s time to switch.” I switched years ago and will never go back..”
- “I chose Ubuntu, and am not going back to Windows. I hope that Bitwig will be as nice as Live!
Got your own thoughts on Window 8 for musicians? Leave a comment with your thoughts!