DM-1 Drum Machine For iOS, iPad Now Free

DM-1 – an drum machine app for iPhone and iPad – is now available as a free download.

DM-1 offers 5 main sections:

• THE STEP SEQUENCER  - turn on and off steps in your sequence with the tip of your fingers to create beats.
  • THE DRUM PADS – play and record the beat .
  • THE MIXER for quick and subtle sound mixing of your drum kits. Featuring settings for volume, pitch, sample length, custom drum kit element for each channel, mute and solo mode.
  • THE FX TRACKPADS  - distort, modulate and transform your beats. The effects include: Overdrive, Reverb, Delay, Phaser, Formant, Texturizer, Robotizer, Filter, Dalek filter and Compressor.
  • THE SONG COMPOSER allows you to quickly make a song with the beat patterns you have created.

Key Features:

• 86 vintage and produced drum kits, mastered at in-house Fingerlab Sound Studios
  • Samples Import from iPod Library, microphone, DropBox, AudioCopy and iTunes shared folder
  • Time signature
  • 16 or 32 Steps per patterns
  • Automation Panel for a precise and intuitive control of any Mixer parameter over time
  • Duo FX Trackpads for real-time sonic destruction and multi-FX
  • FX per track
  • FX automation (FX parameters and FX per pattern)
  • Pitch-bend ribbon automationl
  • High-quality export to SoundCloud, DropBox, Facebook, email, iTunes shared folder or AudioCopy
  • Separated tracks and AAC encoding export options
  • Randomizer
  • Audio background mode
  • WIST synchronization technology by Korg for syncing 2 iPads/iPhones together
  • Midi IN, Plug’n’Play with Camera Connection Kit

DM-1 is available in the App Store for iPhone or iPad.

via reader Stephanie Mckeon

52 thoughts on “DM-1 Drum Machine For iOS, iPad Now Free

1. I wonder why this went free? I was realy hoping this would go audiobus, I hope free doesnt mean no longer supported….

2. I expect ‘free’ to mean ‘in app purchases coming soon.’ I hope it’s not being abandoned.

3. I do not use it as much as I could, but it is a darn good app. I would if the Dev is abandoning it, which would suck. Maybe they will see this and give the Synthtopia readers a status report?

4. Given that MIDI out was never added and there’s been no word on AudioBus support, I can’t help but think this is now abandonware.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 4

5. More like Fingerlab treating iPhone users like 2nd class.. Sorry to say I paid for this app and started to love it, especially the randomizer.. But then noticed it’s missing some features of its iPad sibling.. And that gap has widened.. The description in this article is for the iPad version. Dm1 for iPhone doesn’t have a lot of those features like automation, sample import, time signatures etc. I’ve asked Fingerlab why, but now it’s more like What the F??? The iPhone is a development ghetto now?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 9

6. When I hear “free” and “ios” in the same press release I know it’s got to be tons of ads or in-app gouging. With ios “free” actually means something bad, at least in my mind.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 11

• there are no ads or IAPs in DM1, at least not for now. I’d be pissed if they put in adverts since I bought the app.. This is well worth grabbing anyway, it’s a paid app gone free not the usual crippled ‘free’ apps you find

7. Though I’ve never successfully been able to export audio from the DM-1, it is still one of the most fun music apps I use. I hope there are no ads, and even if they just preserve the current feature set, I hope they continue to update it for compatibility– especially audiobus and receiving sync. That’s not asking too much? Maybe they’d want a lil’ kick starter to fund that stuff.

8. Always amazes me how people can find a downside to anything!

Free ice cream!

‘But I wanted cake!’

• Yea. I not only paid for it, but had all my students pay for it (40 of them– which is no skin off my nose). I’m not complaining. I think it’s clear from what I wrote, I really like the app. If they’ve decided to make it free, I’m not complaining. I never got audio export to work, but I don’t really need that function that desperately. Without MIDI out or export audio, I’m left just recording the audio from the hardware output. That’s ok. It wasn’t that expensive.

9. If this is a case of going free to add in app purchases, advertisements , or a dm-2 coming out, it’s just another example of something in general that iOS developers need to figure out a better solution to. Soundprism, jasuto, beatmaker, etc.

As an early adopter/supporter of software I expect to pay more, overall, over the life of the program, but I also expect some kind of recognition of that support. Traditionally, it’s a small discount for an upgrade, but it doesn’t need to be. I understand margins can be slim on iOS.

Some programs, like Five12 Numerology I wouldn’t have issue paying full price for each new version because the developer really takes interest in the user experience.

I guess bottom line, being treated like a faceless consumer feels crappy and for me at least, is somewhat in danger in souring the whole iOS experience. Right now, I often buy cheap, cool apps just to support the developer (and I don’t think I’m the only one).

10. God, some people are so fucking cynical…

PS- the devs say they are working on Audiobus support.

11. It doesn’t exactly feel good to know that a music app is offered free AFTER you paid for it …

12. I pourchased this for $1 the release date. It is indeed a great app.
    I saw the free price this morning on AppShopper.
    I could be mistaken, but my original thaught was that the developer just made it free for a very short period of time because of the season. I have seen more than a few apps go free for an hour…. day… or week and then go back up in price.
    Anyhow…. it is worth picking up for free.
    There is much speculation here. Maybe the developer just wanted to wish us electronuc musicians a Happy Holiday by offering the app for free for a period of time.
    GREAT APP!!!!

13. I bought the app at full price and have used it a lot. The last update doesn’t seem like it was that long ago. DM-1 is one of the few iOS apps that I find useful. I don’t feel ripped off that they lowered the price. It could be a holiday pricing thing.

I really hope they don’t abandon it. It seems to be pretty popular so I don’t think they would. I’d hate to see DM-1 become another Jasuto.

14. I think a lot of the blame for “free” iOS apps getting shit on actually lies with Apple. Since you can’t demo software on the App Store, the devs have to come up with other ways of achieving the same goal. IAPs aren’t really any different than the “shareware” model. You get a limited version of the app for free and if you want more, you buy that functionality. This can be good and bad. Good if it means you get to buy features “ala carte” and can save money not buying the ones you don’t need. But it can get pretty bad if you have to buy something over and over (such as donuts in the “Simpson’s Tapped Out” game).

I don’t mind ads for a free program, just as long as there is an ad free one available to purchase if I like it that much. This is a nice option for people who can’t afford apps and serves as a demo version. It’s actually the one I prefer over IAP or timed trial.

To those that bought it and now want their money back because it’s free… grow the fuck up. How much did it cost you? $9.99? How much was your lunch? I bet as much or more. You financed a great app, be proud. Consider it a donation. TBH we’re all lucky to have this kind of tech for paltry prices. Let it go.

15. Perhaps free today to steal some of the iMPC’s thunder – it’s now in the US App Store alongside the Tabletop update. That said DM-1is a wonderful app!

• Kind of funny, coming from someone who jumps on to every thread to whine about an app THAT COSTS 99 CENTS!

16. so, anyone know what the MIDI in notes and cc change values are? Wondering if it accepts start/stop and xy pads, or just the note values. and by the way, fingerlab, thanks for the free app!!

17. Fingerlab’s site shows DM-1 as “iPad App of the Week”, a free promotion by Apple that features high quality apps and games. The app gets featured on the App Store’s main page which is huge advertising opportunity.
    Maybe the editors could amend the article so people don’t freak out thinking that Fingerlab is abandoning the app.

• Guy

Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing in the post suggests that Fingerlab is abandoning the app. DM1 was updated as recently as a few weeks ago.

18. Always nice to get something for free, even if I only have an iPod touch. MIDI out would make it ideal for triggering patterns live though

19. Audiobus updated tonight. Good news, great app. I paid full price and am happy with the sound and going nuts with the number sound choices and ability to create your own kits. Well worth a look.

20. You already know thus considerably in relation to this matter, made me in my opinion consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it’s something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. All the time maintain it up!

21. Many real estate contracts can be considered. In addition to
    using thepre foreclosure listfor finding potential investments, it is a very sims 3 sell house
    xbox 360 competitive field; staying ahead of the market. Vegas has been
    using the sims 3 sell house xbox 360 right marketing tools then there would no one that can make a difference.
    My library has a website that is user-friendly, helping prospective customers navigate comfortably through the
    showcased products, and offering to add value to your property.