2013 NAMM Show: Korg has introduced the Wavedrum Global Edition – a new Wavedrum that offers the largest palette of sounds of any Wavedrum to date; with percussion sounds from around the world, a boost in the sound quality and improvements in usability.
The Wavedrum Global Edition contains 60 DSP algorithms, which enable a variety of synthesis methods––analog, additive, non-linear, physical modeling, etc. Working with these algorithms, you can create various instrument sounds, natural sounds, or purely synthetic sounds – in addition to the Wavedrum Global Edition’s own unique sounds. The PCM sound engine – the other important part of the Wavedrum Global Edition’s sound creation system – contains 400 PCM sounds: 200 for the head, and 200 for the rim.
Here are the details:
The sound of the player’s strike is sensed by separate pickups for the head and the rim, and used directly as the sound source that drives the DSP-powered algorithm and PCM sound engine. In combination with this, the pressure sensor in the head allows the Wavedrum Global Edition to detect and respond to subtle movements of the player’s fingers or palm which can be used to strike, rub, or scratch the head, as well as use techniques such as open shots, slap shots, heel and toe, and mute. Tonal differences produced by using a stick, mallet, or brush, plus changes resulting from different striking locations are also faithfully reproduced, giving the musician a high degree of expressive power and a dynamic range that rivals that of an acoustic drum or percussion instrument.
- 2nd Generation Dynamic Percussion Synthesizer that provides unparalleled musical expression
- A sound engine that combines DSP-powered algorithms with PCM sounds to allow versatile and highly flexible performances
- A pressure sensor and multiple pickups capture the subtle nuances of your strikes on the head and rim, generating expressive power and new sounds
- Increased pickup precision provides improved dynamic range for low and high pitches, as well as enhanced response for soft sounds, making the instrument more sensitive
- Play different sounds from the head and rim, or apply pressure effects on the head to create performance techniques that are possible only on the Wavedrum
- 200 preset programs cover a vast range of sounds from classic percussion to unique and novel sounds
- 200 user programs are available for storing customized sounds and settings
- A new input sensitivity parameter has been added, supporting a wide range of users from beginners to pros
- Fundamental sounds such as acoustic instruments have been enhanced
- Live Mode stores up to 12 settings (4 favorite programs x 3 Banks) for instant recall
- Compact and light-weight design; use as an individual instrument, or mixed in with a traditional drum kit or any performance/percussion rig
- 140 loop phrases of various genres allow Wavedrum users to jam along or practice to them
- AUX input allows monitoring or mixing of any audio source–CD, MP3, even a second Wavedrum
Pricing and Availability:
The Korg Wavedrum Global Edition is expected to be available in March 2013 for US $599.00. See the Korg site for more info.