Native Instruments has released Traktor DJ for the iPad – a port of their classic DJ software that they call ‘the pro DJ app for iPad’.
And, while there are already many other DJ apps on the iPad, the announcement means that Traktor users can now use an iPad as the core of an extremely portable rig. It also introduces new multi-platform workflows that let you work on sets on an iPad and then sync them to use in Traktor Pro 2.
Traktor DJ basically offers Traktor’s classic feature set – beat matching, key detection, two-deck mixing, 8 effects, per-channel filter & EQ, beat grids & cue points – with a touch interface. It does’t offer the features of the latest Traktor Pro 2, but is designed to share work with Traktor Pro 2.
Here are the details:
- ‘Touch the groove’ using familiar iPad gestures like swiping and pinching
- Direct access to your iTunes music library
- Stylish waveform display allows for simple looping and ultra-tight scratching
- Intelligent browser recommends songs based on compatible tempo and key
- Automatic tempo and key detection plus BPM sync for super-smooth mixing
- Notification Center gives you in-app access to essential tips and undiscovered techniques
- 8 built-in pro DJ effects, including Reverb, Delay and dramatic glitch effects like BeatMasher
- Familiar DJ mixer layout with crossfader plus line faders, 3-band EQ and filter on each channel
- Prepare tracks on the road ? all meta data (tempo, beatgrids, cue points etc.) in TRAKTOR DJ syncs with TRAKTOR PRO DJ software, via Dropbox
- Record your mixes live in high-quality on the iPad and share with your friends
Here’s a video intro to Traktor DJ, featuring Richie Hawtin:
Unfortunately, we can’t all be superstar DJ’s prepping sets at the beach…….
Traktor DJ Photos
Traktor DJ can work with a multi-channel audio interface to allow for DJ cueing:
NI notes that you can connect Traktor DJ with the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit to either Traktor Audio 6 or Traktor Audio 10. Other USB audio interfaces may work fine also. If you try this, let us know about your experience.
You can also sync work between Traktor DJ and Traktor DJ pro, via DropBox. A free DropBox account is required. Traktor DJ will sync information like cue points, beat grids and BPM information to DropBox and into Traktor Pro 2. It also works in the opposite direction.
Missing in action, unfortunately, is any mention of MIDI support. Some will question calling this ’the pro DJ app for iPad’ with no support for MIDI controllers.
Traktor DJ also leaves the original iPad behind. It requires iOS 6 or higher, iPad 2 or later, or iPad mini. 500 MB free storage/disk space is recommended.
Traktor DJ is available now in the App Store for $19.99. If you’ve tried Traktor DJ, leave a comment and let us know what you think of it!