If you check out the demos on their site, ‘Celtic-inspired’ translates roughly into ‘robo-Enya’.
Yamaha’s Vocaloid technology is designed to let you create virtual vocals by entering lyrics and notes. At this point, the voice synthesis technology is realistic enough to take you into ‘uncanny valley’ territory, sounding realistic-esque.
The new Vocaloid 3 interface lets you import wav files, so Avanna can “sing along” with your compositions from within Vocaloid. Avanna comes with a default reverb for added realism; you can also add vibrato and expression to “her” voice.
Here’s a video intro to Avanna:
VOCALOID3 EDITOR Lite is included with Avanna and offers the following features:
- Piano-roll style note editor, importing functionality from a standard MIDI file
- Inputting lyrics and automatic conversion to phonemes
- Assigning musical expression templates from an Icon Palette
- Sending notes, lyrics and musical expression to the Synthesis Engine
- Saving vocal data as a .wav file
- Changing synthesis parameters
- Playback .wav files
For additional product info and demo songs visit the AVANNA webpage.