Roland VR-09 Stage Keyboard Overview

Here’s an overview of the Roland VR-09 stage keyboard, via Sonic State.

Roland’s Gareth Bowen offers an in-depth overview of the VR-09, which is a keyboard intended for live performance. It features dedicated piano, organ and synth sections and weighs in at just 5 Kg.

If you’ve used the Roland VR-09, let us know what you think of it!

9 thoughts on “Roland VR-09 Stage Keyboard Overview

1. I was originally going to post a snarky comment about this being another workstation, but then I realized I really enjoyed the affected piano in the beginning and how easily it was edited, hehe. Certainly has its uses I suppose. This is coming from a live analog set-up musician….

2. Hahaha. Gareth: “Doors sounds.” Nick: “Sounds like chiptunes, actually.” Gareth: “Yeah, exac– it’s the Doors sound.”

D-Beam is cool though, and this seems to have a full-blown polysynth unlike Casio’s XW-P1.

3. mmm… presentation? I’m disappointed, just couldnt ear any seemly sound demo. When Nick asks about the sounds (it’s what i want to find in a synth presentation), Gareth just talks about the effects..Is he not interested to show the sounds? :(

4. Here is a much more comprehensive demo, in Japanese, but well worth it. I don’t know how physically tough it is at that price point, but the sound engine is impressive.

• Heheh, I always like that guy’s demos – he’s very enthusiastic and also a fan of vintage gear.

5. I was one of the people mocking the teaser video for this. I still have no interest in buying it, but at a $1k price point (especially if it ends up cheaper street), that’s not a terrible piece of gear. That’s about half of what I expected whatever new thing they teased to cost.

6. I was also one of the people mocking the teaser ….. but I gotta say the looper is cool.

7. Am I the only one bothered by these demo guys NEVER going beyond C? When they demo a sound, they play a middle c. When they play organ or clav, it’s automatically lame noodling on a c blues scale. When they play a chord, it’s a triad c major or minor…

It’s just that even when you’re demoing an instrument, venturing beyond c into something musical gives such a better idea of what the instrument is capable of.

I don’t know about you, but when I sit down to play a keyboard (even an unfamiliar one), I mostly “start” in different keys and juicier chords to begin with, by nature.