The Terpstra Keyboard is a new hexagonal keyboard controller design, that offers 280 color-changing continuous controllers.
The Terpstra, like other hexagonal keyboard designs, is not intended to replace traditional keyboards, but to introduce new ways to understand and play music, based on the underlying relationships of musical notes and the physics of sound:
- When used with a traditional 12-tone even-tempered scale, the Terpstra arranges notes so that chords and scales are played the same in every key.
- The Terpstra Keyboard has been built with Xen (Microtonality) in mind. It has enough keys to do practically any layout.
- LAYOUT: matrix, hexagonal
- KEYS: 280 (5×56) or 56, velocity sensitive, each at a different height; each key is a highly expressive continuous controller with deep travel
- KEY MECHANICS: torsion springs with counterbalanced keycaps
- SENSING MECHANISM: non-contact Hall-effect sensor
- FUNCTION BUTTONS: 10, with activity LEDs
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES: color changing RGB LED key-caps*, expansion panel
- CASE: anodized aluminium
- CONNECTIVITY: 1/4″ input jacks for foot switch and volume pedal, MIDI, USB, LAN, HDMI & WiFi
The Terpstra Keyboard is currently under development as an IndieGoGo project. Check out the details and let us know what you think of it!