Developer Dango Inc has released Modal Pro – a new app that allows you to build your own synthesizers and effects by connecting various modules together.
- Flexible and Intuitive Patching
Modal Pro allows you to connect modules whichever way you want. You can use any module to control any other module. You can even connect a module to itself. You’re not guaranteed to get an interesting sound, or even any sound at all but you’re guaranteed not to break anything. The touch interface allows you to rapidly connect and disconnect modules so that you can easily explore all sonic possibilities.
- Easy-to-Use Touch Controls
Modal Pro features interface elements such as its custom “double sliders” that allow you adjust each detail of the sound intuitively and accurately. Controls are adjusted specifically for each type of parameter.
- Analog Modeled Oscillators
Modal Pro’s oscillator modules are built to emulate the sound of classic analog synthesizer. Because they are modeled rather than sample-based you can modulate them freely, in real-time and at audio rate.
- Two Workspaces
Modal Pro features two workspaces where you can build instruments or effects.
- The “Polyphonic Workspace” is typically where you build instruments, and offers up to 8 voices of polyphony. (Actual polyphony will vary depending on your iPad’s speed and complexity of the instrument.)
- The Polyphonic Workspace is connected to the “Monophonic Workspace.” As the name implies, instruments that you build here can only play one sound at a time. This is the perfect place, however, for building effects that process the output of the Polyphonic Workspace.
- The Preset Slider
The state of an instrument or effect can be saved as a preset. These presets are stored in the “Preset Slider,” which not only allows you to recall these states but also interpolate between them, making fluid and sometimes surprising transitions between presets possible.
- The Keyboard
Modal Pro features a keyboard optimized for the iPad’s screen. The standard chromatic piano keyboard is complemented with many fixed-scale keyboards. Adjustable portamento allows you to slide notes individually.
- Comprehensive Help
Touch any module and the “Live Help” window will display a detailed description featuring not only an explanation of the module’s features but also advice about how to use it to get great sounds. Modal Pro also comes with a lengthy tutorial to guide you through every feature, building your own simple synthesizer and effect along the way. In following releases, more tutorials will be added to help you learn the basics of sound design.
- Sine/Square/Triangle/Sawtooth/White Noise/Pink Noise
- ADSR(Envelope)/Simple Curve
- Amplifier/Mixer/Crossfade/Ring Modulator/Sample & Hold
- Triple Filters/Delay/Lo-Fi
- MIDI Controls
- Note/Volume/Preset Control
- Width : 9 octaves(scrollable)
- Portamento : 3 presets(None/Legato/Glissando, intermediate value selectable)
- Scales : 24
- Outside-App Communication
- CoreMIDI, Inter-App Audio, AudioCopy
- (Audiobus is planned for an upcoming release)
No official demo appears to be available at this time. Here’s an unofficial demo, via thesoundtestroom:
Modal Pro is available now in the App Store for US $4.99.
If you’ve used Modal Pro, let us know what you think of it!